2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i know this is stupid but i have little patience...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:03 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when I drain the block, I like to put a small bit of teflon sealant (not tape) on the drain plugs so as not to do it again, just in case. I can be a bit paranoid at times.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:09 PM
J McWillis
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did my plenum I just popped the lower radiator hose off and drained into a bucket, then pulled the inlet tube off the water pump to let anything stuck in the upper channels breathe and flow out to the bucket. Ended up draining 2/3 gallons.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:22 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J McWillis
When I did my plenum I just popped the lower radiator hose off and drained into a bucket, then pulled the inlet tube off the water pump to let anything stuck in the upper channels breathe and flow out to the bucket. Ended up draining 2/3 gallons.
+1 on that. It is the fastest way. I just take it loose at the radiator and when it's done draining I pop it off the water pump. I don't mess with the inlet tube.

After doing it that way you just rinse the coolant off the frame with the hose and hose down the coolant that missed the bucket so no critters will want to lap it up.
Just don't tell those go green nut jobs that you did it that way.

If the radiator is stock then I wouldn't mess with the petcock valve because it can break.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:04 PM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol man...i was laughing after reading the post about the petcock having to be PULLED out after turning it. i dont know how i didnt knww that...or better yet...how i was supposed to know that. i knew it was taking way too long to drain from the radiator. i let it drain through a 3/8 tube and it just trickled...thanks DV for the insight on that.

next time i attempt this project i will just remove lower hose, WP hose, and i will use full strength AF with distilled water. cheaper to do it that way. also it looks like most people didnt go over 4 gallons when refilling. that works..well my temp gauge is still reading the same as it was prior to this ****. thanks again yall for the input i appreciate it.

Quick Reply: i know this is stupid but i have little patience...