2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 ram idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 PM
skillzman1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah...the junkyard only warranties that it 'runs'...if it smokes or whatever you still have the same issues..I agree
suppose I'm looking at pulling the motor...regasket..tend to the heads,and intake upgrades...and stuff it back in.
At this point I'm gonna have to find a use for it and keep it for awhile...maybe a graduation present for my son.
Or maybe I'll put in the books as the company truck...at least I can write the reciepts off.
I have no real personal use for it...my wife has an 04 Hemi Durango,and I have an 08 Silverado for work.
I bought this and started going thru it with thoughts of selling it and turning a buck...but after the partial rebuild and a new cat ($350)...I'll be past the profit margin.
At least its mostly new and looks good now...have to be a winter project to finish it.

I looked for the aftermarket heads you mentioned ...but didnt see the ones you described...do you have a link by any chance?
I'm gonna you one for all the help!!
Thanks again-Matt

Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 PM
skillzman1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finally got the heads off...had to torch cut the exhaust manifold bolts out.

the new heads should be here shortly.
looking for the torque specs for the heads...so far I've found 2 stage torque specs...50#'s first then 105#'s second round working from the center out......is this correct?

Quick Reply: 97 ram idle issue