2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C question

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 08:47 PM
rwisaacks
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default A/C question

I got a 1999 5.2L Ram and the a/c doesn't blow as cold as it should IMO. The shop checked the pressures and the guy said they were good. Also, last winter the heat was never really hot, even after I replaced the leaky radiator. Is there a connection there? Maybe a blend door not sealing all the way? I'm just guessing though.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:14 PM
rwisaacks
Professional

Update: I did several things to the a/c system. 1. The max mode wasn't working, the recirculation door actuator isn't working behind the glove box. So, I just wedged the door closed and now it's on MAX all the time. 2. The blower motor was full of leaves, at least a good handful. Took it out and cleaned it. 3. The evaporator was covered in dirt, grime and yuck, I used a vacuum attachment to get most of the crap off. Then I sprayed it with a weak bleach solution to wash the rest of the debris out and get rid of the mold and smell. 4. The condenser had a large amount of fins that were smashed completely flat and restricting air flow. I used a plastic butter knife to pry each one back up and then used a fin comb to get them all straight again. Now the a/c blows really hard and idling in the driveway the center vents blow at a nice and cold 38*!

Old 08-25-2010, 05:00 PM
jgcox6
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you take apart part of the dash to clean the evaporator or is there a way to do it without taking it apart?

Old 08-25-2010, 05:31 PM
rwisaacks
Professional

Originally Posted by jgcox6
did you take apart part of the dash to clean the evaporator or is there a way to do it without taking it apart?
I didn't take the dash apart, though that would give you much better access. I took the glove box off and removed the blower motor. Then if you reach up thru the hole where the blower motor goes and reach towards the center of the truck you can feel the evaporator. I duct taped a toilet paper roll to the vacuum hose and cut the other end of the roll to make it smaller in diameter, then taped an old heater hose to that. That way I could bend the small hose thru the blower motor hole. I also used one of those telescopic mechanics mirrors to see it. It took a couple hours to clean it. Mine was so filthy I couldn't see or feel the fins on it.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:55 PM
jbomb
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man good thing to check.

I am going to piggy back this thread.

Need to vac my ac cause I disconected it when doing the cam swap. Head you could fill it and hold down the high pressure side till you see new come out? Is that true.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,269 Likes on 3,016 Posts

Dont wanna leave any air/moisture in the system.... it will eat it up, and reduce efficiency. have it vacuumed down somewhere. Might be cheaper to just have them recharge it as opposed to buying several cans of refrigerant as well.

Quick Reply: A/C question