2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing Oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Old Dodge 1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Aim is right.

I got mine from Harbor freight for $19. Make sure you have good sockets and extensions, because the bolts on the starter were a real bitch to get off. I ended up having to use a breaker barr for the top bolt to the starter. Hit it with lots of penetrating oil and you should be fine.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks AIM, I've done starters before, believe me, I've smashed my finger enough times to learn my lesson.

Old Dodge, I've got a mechanics tool chest full of Mac, Snap on and craftsmen tools. Tools are the one thing I always have.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:47 PM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

I should have elaborated more. AIM is correct, don't make a gasket soley out of RTV, But IIRC, even the haynes manual also suggests putting a liberal amount of RTV at each corner of the oil pan where it dips down. I did as well.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:39 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star

^^ Will do

Old 07-12-2010, 09:54 PM
atc250r
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CSCustomCars
96 1500 5.2L 2WD Auto 174k miles, original motor

Okay, I prolonged the life of the oil pump by using thicker oil, but now, even with the thicker oil, I am losing oil pressure once again... Yay... Meh, it was just a temporary fix I was hoping would pro-long just a little longer than a 2 months, but whatever. I'd like some opinions though. I'm losing oil pressure, but I've got no ticks, knocks, or anything else. I have a brand new oil pressure sending unit, and when the truck does have oil pressure, it's never over 40 psi. Even when it looses oil pressure, the engine runs smooth. In fact, the engine runs great all the time. So do you think I need a new oil pump?

Okay, so i need to know a few things. I am mechanically inclined, I've removed tranny pans before, done the alternators, belts, intakes, brakes, u-joints, etc. Never removed an oil pan before, never replaced an oil pump on a motor in a vehicle before. In fact, never replaced an oil pump on an engine that would ever run again.

So guys, besides the oil pump itself, and the obvious oil pan gasket, oil and filter, what else to do I need?
Anything else I should replace while I'm in there?
Do I have to remove anything to get the oil pan off?
Do I need a new oil pump screen?
Do I need new bolts for the oil pump itself or are they torque to yield?
Do I have to prime the oil pump after I have it all together?
Any o-ring seals or anything else I need for the replacement? Do I need to lube up any seals before re-installing everything?

Anyone done this before? How long does it take?
So what is your oil pressure guage reading? Middle of the guage when cold at any rpm and towards the low end of normal at a warm idle? Mine does this too so I'm interested to hear if replacing the oil pump brings the pressure to the middle of the guage at all times like it used to be.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:15 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

worth saying again - use the good, rubber, felpro gasket with very light coat of rtv at the corners.

do not use heavy rtv only or you'll never get the mother ****er off.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:09 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star

Originally Posted by atc250r
So what is your oil pressure guage reading? Middle of the guage when cold at any rpm and towards the low end of normal at a warm idle? Mine does this too so I'm interested to hear if replacing the oil pump brings the pressure to the middle of the guage at all times like it used to be.
Cold and warm, Idle and WOT, the gauge never reads over 40. Usually around 20 at idle in gear. WOT just barely brushes 40 psi.

Can't afford everything quite yet. Will probably happen later this week. When I do it, I'l let you know the results.

And thanks dhvaughan, I will do the rtv at the edges, and will do it lightly.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:11 AM
03neonSE
Veteran

Never knew Felpro makes rubber gaskets....

Old 07-23-2010, 06:54 PM
atc250r
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CSCustomCars
Cold and warm, Idle and WOT, the gauge never reads over 40. Usually around 20 at idle in gear. WOT just barely brushes 40 psi.

Can't afford everything quite yet. Will probably happen later this week. When I do it, I'l let you know the results.

And thanks dhvaughan, I will do the rtv at the edges, and will do it lightly.
So anything to update? Anxious to hear if a new oil pump brought your pressure back up to a steady 40psi or so or ???

Old 07-24-2010, 01:15 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star

Originally Posted by atc250r
So anything to update? Anxious to hear if a new oil pump brought your pressure back up to a steady 40psi or so or ???
Yes, it did. Pressure readings are just above 40 at idle. Roughly 60 or so maybe a bit higher at WOT. I did not get the higher output pump. Couldn't justify the extra $20 since this motors got almost 200k and will never see any modifications.

Off topic, you have 250r trike? Got any pics of that bad boy?

Quick Reply: Replacing Oil pump