2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

grinding noise in full lock.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 01:13 AM
rumble_truck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grinding noise in full lock.

I hear a terrible grinding noise in full lock (mostly in U-turns) and it seems to only happen when during this full lock I hit a bump in the road or go into a gutter. I've done a few quick once arounds to look for any kind of wear or scraping or something and everything looks untouched and rusty. And before you ask, I'm running a 265/75/16 on stock rims. And a 3in body lift, so it's defiantly not tire rubbing (it makes more of a sound like on Titanic when the ship hits the iceberg, that kinda grinding sound).

This has got me completely stumped and i'd figure I would see what yall could come up with. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:22 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

can you tell if its coming from the front or the rear?
full lock would excercise the rear end spider gears and LSD.
in the front, it would excercise front axle u-joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, maybe shake the ball joints and track bar some.

put the front end up on jack stands, and turn wheels while straight vs full lock and see if something binds up. like maybe axle u-joints. also see if you can find any grease fittings.

Quick Reply: grinding noise in full lock.