2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

can tune to a custum tune

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:14 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default can tune to a custum tune

how does it work with the sct ? can tune 275 custum is 375

how does he make a custum tune ,if you told him you have 1.7 HS,fastman and say headers . do you have to have a dyno run and a A/F gauge ?

his can tunes are like superchips but with more umph with torque management off giving you 3 tunes 91 towing and 87.

basically i want to know how does the custum tune work ? how is the custum giving you more power than the can tune ?

Old 07-25-2010, 01:14 AM
2k10HemiRam
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My best answer to your question would be to ask him directly.

All I can say about can tunes is that they're basic performance enhancing tunes written for a stock truck at what they think the good settings are. And all you get is 3 basic tunes without the ability to have them changed. Now what the differences are between the can tunes and custom tunes I don't know specifically, but I can tell you it's worth the extra price. Since I got the SCT tuner from Hemifever, I've gotten about 5 different tunes from him. The first 3 were the basic 87, 89, and 93 octanes. I wanted to use the highest octane tune for better performance but I don't have 93 octane fuel around here so he wrote me a tune for 91 octane plus a fuel saver 91 octane tune(which I don't use), and lately, I had him bump my idle up some because after I swapped over to the FI Airgap, I went through some rough idle issue's and after I fixed it my idle seemed a little low to me. It was at about 625 and after shooting him an e-mail explaining everything, he shot me a tune with higher idle.

So initially, I don't think there's really any difference between the starting tunes of both the can and custom but over time as you change parts such as cam, heads, and underdrive pulley's, he can change your tune to get the best performance out of your motor. I mentioned underdrive pulley's btw because I know someone on here is running them and to keep their electronics running correctly, they had their idle bumped up to keep the alt pumping out enough juice to run everything. So that extra 100 bucks is worth it if you plan on doing things to your motor in the future. For example, I'm going to drop a 408 in hopefully sometime next year, Hemifever will be writing my tune for that at no extra charge.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A canned tune is probably the best tune he can give you on a stock engine.

Certain mods don't need a new tune, 1.7s, exhaust, TB, etc. They don't affect fuel tables or a spark advance beyond what the PCM can compensate for.

Changing heads, camshafts, injectors, can have a big impact on fuel curves and may need an adjustment.

If you contact hemi, he'll be straight with you. There are several "mods," that I've done that I emailed him about and he told me no change was needed.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:12 AM
always_something
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he will ask specifically what is done to yuor truck. His canned tunes will reflect on any mods you have. If your pretty much stock, you get basic. If you have a data logger you can do some driving, couple wot runs, email him the info and he will write another tune for you. I got one from him and he wil also be tuning a 408 turbo I plan on dropping in next winter.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:06 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lastrights
how does it work with the sct ? can tune 275 custum is 375

how does he make a custum tune ,if you told him you have 1.7 HS,fastman and say headers . do you have to have a dyno run and a A/F gauge ?

his can tunes are like superchips but with more umph with torque management off giving you 3 tunes 91 towing and 87.

basically i want to know how does the custum tune work ? how is the custum giving you more power than the can tune ?
He told me this:

1. Custom tune you need at least heads OR a cam for him to program one that will work well. But, in essence, that is a CANNED CUSTOM tune.

2. You can get a custom tune with your 1.7s, fastman, headers, exhaust. But you need a wideband AF gauge and you need to send him the AF ratio at WOT.

For it to be truly custom, you need a wideband AF.

He also recommends getting a hi flo cat converter. Something usually doen when you get the wideband AF gauge. But you are looking at about $350-400 for that.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:09 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

canned tune, just means canned data. Meaning, Data that is not measured directly from your vehicle. Just certain INPUTS like what mods you have. Those mods have data that has already been measured. Like lift/flow/duration. But that data is "canned" in a sense it is published by the manufacturers (and constant values).

data that you measure yourself can be great inputs for a custom tune. Because that data is measured from YOUR truck.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:54 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

so can the can tune turn into a custum tune if you pay him the $ later down the road if i decide to get heads/cam ext..

Old 07-25-2010, 02:48 PM
2k10HemiRam
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lastrights
so can the can tune turn into a custum tune if you pay him the $ later down the road if i decide to get heads/cam ext..
Yes, if you don't want to buy the custom now, you can buy it later.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:23 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion

ya i dunno how much more serious im going to be getting with the motor , i think im going to be going with the airgap and heads and the heads wont be for a while. so i wont be due for a custum tune for a while.

thanks guys for helping me out

Old 07-26-2010, 10:51 PM
shanec706
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

question. what if you currently have a stock 5.2 and plan to swap out to a modded 5.9 at a later date. i suppose you would use the standard tune for now, but would the custom tunes for the 5.2 work with the larger engine?

Quick Reply: can tune to a custum tune