2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

engine will not crank help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:48 PM
dbm842
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine will not crank help

i parked up my 2000 3.9 v6 magnum 1500 last night no probs came out this morning engine will not turn over the warning checks all come on the battery is good there is a ticking coming from the starter relay i have tried tapping the starter motor no joy i need help

Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

what does the volt meter read, with the ignition on?

Old 07-28-2010, 03:24 PM
dbm842
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile engine not cranking

hi
thanks for the advise but i have solved it
it was corroded dirty battery terminals i was looking to deep fearing the worst rather than trying the basics first all ok now

Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dbm842
i parked up my 2000 3.9 v6 magnum 1500 last night no probs came out this morning engine will not turn over the warning checks all come on the battery is good there is a ticking coming from the starter relay i have tried tapping the starter motor no joy i need help

This is perfect. Another real world example of having all the warning lamps come on all due to a PCM SENSE fault (LOW VOLTAGE) at the PCM input.*

If you don't mind, did you receive ODO codes as well? Say, no guages / no start, flashing ODO, no BUS etc.....

CM

Old 07-29-2010, 08:08 AM
stands2p
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your determined arent you.i interpit it as all warning checks/indicators come on as normal as battery is good.well know if the op replies.simple fix.almost 2 simple

Old 07-29-2010, 01:18 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stands2p
your determined arent you.i interpit it as all warning checks/indicators come on as normal as battery is good.well know if the op replies.simple fix.almost 2 simple

I'm not determined or setting out to do harm here. I've just been through this twice with two other people and in both cases, it had nothing to do with the fault codes. It should also be noted that on this site in particular, there was another post / thread which involved the SAME EXACT failure modes as what happened here and, it went on for some time until the root problem was identified as a CORRODED battery lead. It was as simple as that. If and when that happens, you get a huge voltage drop at that termination. This affects the PCM input and, if it falls below the MIN value / lower limit for PCM operational specification, the PCM will POWER <OFF> / DOWN automatically as it can't operate on low voltage at the input. IF the PCM can't power on, the vehicle will not run, not start etc.

Dodge PCM fault diagnostics are a joke and, I don't know how well educated you are on how Dodge laid this out but, it sucks.

It's not like GM where, there troubleshooting tree is massive. When there's a fault code in a GM vehicle, the fault leads almost directly to the root problem vs Dodge, good luck, your on your own to trace it out and, unless you've got in depth knowledge on this system as to both PCM functionality and at the system levels, it's hard to diagnose from a fault code as it could be many things.

Now, in no way am I discrediting what you said. I'm not approaching this at that angle at all. That would be unprofessional of me. And, sure, those codes that were thrown may be indicative of a spent PCM although, it did power on and, it did power the EFI system which in turn powered on the Fuel pump, etc, this leads me to believe that it's still alive. Usually, when they go dead, they won't power on anything let alone allow the vehicle to start for 3-seconds.

It cranks over and over and that's about all she wrote because, there's NO power the EFI system AT ALL thus not powering anything at any time. That's a dead PCM.

If possible, post the possible failure modes for those codes so we can see how those tie into the PCM system and the failsafe mechanism / ASD events.

CM

Last edited by cmckenna; 07-29-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: engine will not crank help