2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission filter/fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:28 PM
0verdrive
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission filter/fluid change

I recently bought a 2001 Ram 1500. Among the tasks I had planned was replacing the transmission filter. Unfortunately, it got pushed on me a little sooner than expected.

I've noticed lately that the transmission didn't want to shift out of first very easily when accelerating quickly - the RPMs occasionally go to the redline without shifting, unless I let up on the accelerator entirely. After it shifts out of first, it always shifts quickly and smoothly through the other gears as needed. So yesterday morning I checked the transmission fluid level, which seemed low and I added 3/4qt. The levels then seemed fine, and it drove without any problems.

Later that day, my brother called to say that the truck was stuck across town, and the transmission only made a "whirring" sound when the accelerator was pressed. We checked the fluid, which was now considerably hotter than that morning, and it was above the max line. I decided that I must have accidentally overfilled the fluid, and decided to change the fluid/filter to see if that helped. It did, and the truck is now moving. But I have a few questions:

1. I bought Valvoline ATF+4 synthetic, but since I just bought the truck, I don't know what fluid was in it. If the transmission had ATF+3 in it, will it mix ok with ATF+4 synthetic?
  2. There's a slight leak at the pan now, despite having tightened the bolts to the specified torque. I've heard that the bolts can actually be too tight, causing a leak - should I back the bolts off a bit, or tighten them?
  3. I've never changed transmission fluid before, so this could be normal, but there was a ton of gunk in the pan - enough that at first I didn't realize that the magnet in the corner as a magnet. It was covered enough that it looked like that section of the pan was molded in a donut shape. I imagine that this indicates that it's been quite a while since the transmission fluid was last changed. That said, I'm wondering if I should drive the truck for a while, then change the fluid again, in an attempt to flush out as much old transmission fluid as possible? First: is this a good idea? Second: if so, how long should I drive it before changing the filter again? I could see anywhere between 25 miles to 5000, so any advice would be great...
  4. If the issue persists with the truck not shifting out of first during quick accelerations, what's the likely culprit? Fluid levels? The torque converter? The transmission itself?
Thanks for your help!

Old 07-28-2010, 01:15 PM
CappinHoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0verdrive
I recently bought a 2001 Ram 1500. Among the tasks I had planned was replacing the transmission filter. Unfortunately, it got pushed on me a little sooner than expected.

I've noticed lately that the transmission didn't want to shift out of first very easily when accelerating quickly - the RPMs occasionally go to the redline without shifting, unless I let up on the accelerator entirely. After it shifts out of first, it always shifts quickly and smoothly through the other gears as needed. So yesterday morning I checked the transmission fluid level, which seemed low and I added 3/4qt. The levels then seemed fine, and it drove without any problems.

Later that day, my brother called to say that the truck was stuck across town, and the transmission only made a "whirring" sound when the accelerator was pressed. We checked the fluid, which was now considerably hotter than that morning, and it was above the max line. I decided that I must have accidentally overfilled the fluid, and decided to change the fluid/filter to see if that helped. It did, and the truck is now moving. But I have a few questions:

1. I bought Valvoline ATF+4 synthetic, but since I just bought the truck, I don't know what fluid was in it. If the transmission had ATF+3 in it, will it mix ok with ATF+4 synthetic?
  2. There's a slight leak at the pan now, despite having tightened the bolts to the specified torque. I've heard that the bolts can actually be too tight, causing a leak - should I back the bolts off a bit, or tighten them?
  3. I've never changed transmission fluid before, so this could be normal, but there was a ton of gunk in the pan - enough that at first I didn't realize that the magnet in the corner as a magnet. It was covered enough that it looked like that section of the pan was molded in a donut shape. I imagine that this indicates that it's been quite a while since the transmission fluid was last changed. That said, I'm wondering if I should drive the truck for a while, then change the fluid again, in an attempt to flush out as much old transmission fluid as possible? First: is this a good idea? Second: if so, how long should I drive it before changing the filter again? I could see anywhere between 25 miles to 5000, so any advice would be great...
  4. If the issue persists with the truck not shifting out of first during quick accelerations, what's the likely culprit? Fluid levels? The torque converter? The transmission itself?
Thanks for your help!
1. It should have ATF+4. Your not supposed to mix ATF fluids.
2. You can over tighten them. If you seed the gasket oozing out the sides you have over tightened it.
3. It's normal to see "gunk" in the pan and on the magnet. As for changing it. It should be a long while before you do it again if at all.
4. I have the same issue with mine, except it's from 2-3. Try this link.
http://bionicdodge.com/Download/Dodg...Adjustment.pdf
From what my tranny guy told me is it also might be a vacuum leak or the actuator. Best thing would be to take it in now before it gets worse.

FYI, never rev your truck to redline for it to shift.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:21 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CappinHoff
1. It should have ATF+4. Your not supposed to mix ATF fluids.
If he had +3 and now he's putting +4,that will do just fine. You can mix those together. Mine had +3 in it until a couple of months ago.

Quick Reply: Transmission filter/fluid change