2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

PA inspection / emissions - did you know?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:07 PM
ib768
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PA inspection / emissions - did you know?

So, I've owned the rig for just a bit over a year now and just had it in for its second inspection. I live in Northeast PA and have to get emissions testing, or at least I thought I did. Did you know that in PA if you drive a vehicle less than 5,000 miles per year (and have owned it at least 1 year), you are exempt from the emissions test?

This is my second vehicle, not my daily driver, so I only put like 4,000 on it last year (of course, I also had it down for repairs and upgrades quite a bit, haha. sweet money pit these things are). I wish I would have known this months ago. I really wanted long-tube headers but settled on shorties so they would bolt up nice to the brand new Y-pipe and CAT the freakin' garage charged me out the wazoo for when the CAT clogged and it broke down on me 150 miles from home last December. Heck, when the stupid CAT pulled a fade on me, I just would have cut that sucker out and proceeded on to long tube headers and a straight pipe right then. Instead I had to rebuild the truck fund for a few months after absorbing the bill. Oh well. I'm definitely going to get the CAT out of there before the end of the summer. I have no plans to go over 5k per year on this thing in the immediate future.

Just thought this would be a good FYI for anyone in the first year or so of ownership or for anyone hanging around that 5k mark who wants to pull the CAT. Screw fine particulate matter, I want my horsepower back.

W

Old 07-30-2010, 10:11 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ya i was close this year but went over the milage , because my cutout was on at the time and didnt want too take it off :/

Old 07-30-2010, 10:14 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yea I know this as well. Pretty neat and up north they don't emssions test.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:50 AM
03neonSE
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best about PA inspection is that 96 and older, its a visual and check over. As long all the emissions equipment is there, it will pass. You can even have a check engine light and it would still pass. Anything 97 and newer...aren't so lucky.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:25 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since were on this topic, let me bring up California. As some of you may know, we have the strictest smog laws out of all our 50 states and it sucks how 2nd gen owners have to pass STRICT smog every other year. HOWEVER, if you live in Amador county, your exempt from having to go threw smog in order to register it. For those of you who don't live in Cali, you just don't know how beautiful this sounds to those of us who do live here.

Quick Reply: PA inspection / emissions - did you know?