2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Truck New Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 02:16 AM
livinlifes2short
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Truck New Problems

Ok picked up a 98 1500 extended cab 2 wheel drive with the 5.9. Problems so far, check engine light p0720 said to be sensor on transmission got that covered.
Makes lound hissing, sucking sound from intake with accelartion, my understanding is it would be the IAC going to take the intake off tom and clean it. With the air cleaner off I can stick my finger in the back of the intake (back being closest to the fire wall) and feel the air as it is associated with the sound. So that is def where it is coming from. Other suggestions appreciated.

Now the one I really need help with, shut the truck off hear bubbling type sound from passanger side, assume it is something to do with the radiator, Check the fluid it was low. Top it off no sound. Now when I get out of the truck I hear a hissing sound and some dripping front driver side from the radiator location not determined. Then noticed passanger floor board is wet, however it is really weired. The sloping downward part where one would rest there feet stretched out is not wet, but the flat part is. Now I dont smell pancakes and my windows dont fog up. However I do get a small pancake smell out side of the truck due to the front leak. I have read about heater core and ac drain. How can I determine which one it is? I looked but could not find the ac drain. If it is the heater core i Just want to bypass it, I live in florida and can go a little while before I need to bother with it. Any help is appreciated so I can fix this right and not have to worry about screwing up my carpet. THANKS!!!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:07 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

AC drain is a small 3/8 - 1/2 inch tube that just barely protrudes from the firewall on passenger side. its very low, only sticks out about 1/2 inch, and is sort of behind the big black AC drier/evaporator/canister thing.

poke that out with a wire to clean it out, seal around the tube with black rtv, and then put a 90* down angle rubber fitting on it.

if you have carpet, temporarily put down some cheap plastic on the passenger floorboard to identify the drip. when it drips into the carpet it becomes impossible to see.

other sources of leaks in passenger compartment come from the 3rd brake light. you can rtv around it too.

Quick Reply: New Truck New Problems