2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stupid plenum...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stupid plenum...

Well I put my modified throttle body on this morning because I made an adjustment on it that got rid of the high idle and saw something that I didn't like one bit.
When I pulled the throttle body off I decided to look into the intake to see if it was still clean since I replaced the plenum gasket with felpro and the pan with hughes. Well it wasn't.
A light film of oil was in there, so I assumed PCV right off the bat and when I looked at the PCV port I saw oil on it and figured that was where the oil came from. Then I looked at the back of the intake and saw a puddle that was too big for the little bit that might come through the PCV valve, ugh... stupid plenum.

I did decide on a solution though, and my wallet is feeling the sting. I ordered an airgap, so "yay" for the airgap, but "crap" for the stupid plenum gasket.

Why did they put a plenum pan on there in the first place? Why would anyone need access to the inside of the keg?

Old 06-08-2010, 01:48 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because they are cheap a$$'s and it may have saved them a little money on each truck...... I'm kinda don't want to look down mine the day I got into it The other day and the power wasn't there like it was hope mine is not blow again

Old 06-08-2010, 01:52 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But Yay for the air gap..... I would like one but they don't have egr on them

Old 06-08-2010, 01:54 PM
truegent81
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well sorry to hear that **** happened to you again. any idea what might have caused this since i am ordering the hughes as well. ****ing corporations making cheap **** just to save THEM money and hurting customers in the end because we don't really have another option (besides more corporations).

Old 06-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

Dunno what caused it, maybe the threads on the pan bolts still had a little oil in them and a bolt or two got a little loose. I did it by the book and torqued the pan a few times to make sure that the bolts were all at the right torque. Like I said though, it's a stupid design.

Mine has felt a little sackless for a while now and I assumed that it was from the bigger tires, but at the same time I couldn't understand it because they are the same size as the tires that were on it when I got the truck. Now I know it is from a vacuum leak.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:18 PM
SnowFox

yea that sucks.... post some pics of the air gap when u get it installed ^.^

if it works good for u then ill save a little more money up and just buy a intake instead of the plenum pan....

Old 06-08-2010, 02:42 PM
calgaryman
Rookie

I'm interested to see if the bolts just came loose. I just experienced that yesterday when I opened up my plenum. I thought it might have been from the PO not torquing properly. But it looks like that might not be the case.

Did you use locktite on the bolts?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion

I'll have at least one picture when I get it done.
Everything I've read about the airgap says that it's awesome because you get more 2000-4500 rpm power and better mileage.

Yep, threadlocker blue on the pan bolts.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:51 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yay im excited

Old 06-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Gary-L
Legend

Sheriff,

You better report back with your results of the Airgap. I'm seriously leaning that way for next Spring's project (among a few others planned for my Dodge).

Quick Reply: Stupid plenum...