2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Doing Plenum next week

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010 | 09:43 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

One thing to really watch out for:

The front and rear gaskets for the intake. They are black rubber with a steel core. One is straight and the other has a bend (where the distributor is). ensure you get all RTV off of there AND....THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT:

Really dig the original RTV out of the two small holes that help seat those gaskets. I didn't notice mine were clogged until AFTER I slathered RTV all over the areas. I was sitting there for 30 mins with a 1/16 drill bit trying to dig it out while more fresh RT was going in there. Could have been 5 mins.

Also, watch out that you do not break your coolant temp sensor next to the filler neck when you are putting your hose clamp back on the thermostat housing. I did that. It was a 15 dollar part at autozone. But you can get a new one from hughes for 14 and change. But I am glad i broke mine. Good to have a new one of those.

--Dan

P.S. If you plan on getting the SCT from hemifever this year. Put a 180* thermostat in there. It will save you time when you get one. $275 for the SCT is the most power you can get for one mod with these trucks (it is "pound for pound" the best mod).

Old 08-09-2010 | 10:50 PM
WillB
|

Thanks for that tip.

Once you take the manifold off, how is the best way to clean the varnish and carbon buildup in the valley or do you just leave it?

Old 08-09-2010 | 10:55 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

leave it alone. don't stir up a big mess.

cover it up to try and keep any gasket debris out, vacuum out any loose stuff that does fall in.

if you get a bunch of debris in there that you can't get out, flush it down the oil drains with some diesel or kerosene, then drain the oil pan.

Old 08-09-2010 | 10:58 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

I took a vaccum to the valley area then washed everything down to the pan with clean dino oil.

Old 08-09-2010 | 11:18 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker

i need to do mine.. seafoamed my engine this weekend (along with a tranny fluid/filter and oil change)...Smoked for a good 15 minutes... i also need new front and rear main seals... might as well stroke it while the engine is out? lol

Old 08-12-2010 | 03:32 PM
plott hound
Professional

willb,how did you make out?im waiting for a little cooler weather before i tackle mine.

Old 08-12-2010 | 05:42 PM
techmike
Rookie

Belly pan gasket wasn't tough.... It took more time to get everything off to get to it. I unfortunately have more time than money so I had to buy the $12 gasket instead of the $600 intake....

Old 08-12-2010 | 09:16 PM
WillB
|
Default Plott Hound

I will be starting next weekend Aug. 21st. Forgot I was taking my son to a baseball game campout for scouts. I will post when I'm done.

My truck has been idling funny lately after it warms up. Rock solid at 650-700rpm and then it will stumble drop low then go up to about 1200 and bounce back and forth. Sometimes it will miss when going down the highway. I'm hope the plenum repair will fix this. Anyone else experience this?

Old 08-12-2010 | 09:33 PM
J415
Champion

Originally Posted by WillB
I will be starting next weekend Aug. 21st. Forgot I was taking my son to a baseball game campout for scouts. I will post when I'm done.

My truck has been idling funny lately after it warms up. Rock solid at 650-700rpm and then it will stumble drop low then go up to about 1200 and bounce back and forth. Sometimes it will miss when going down the highway. I'm hope the plenum repair will fix this. Anyone else experience this?
Check and see if the plugs are oily.

Old 08-12-2010 | 11:11 PM
Kaldir
Veteran

Originally Posted by WillB
I thought I read somewhere that PurplDodge was going to post one.
Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
This statement is funnier than you realize, LOL!

+1

We are all still waiting for Purpl's DIY. I'm sure we will see it one day. Take a lot of pictures if you can! And good luck! I still have to do mine, I really hope I can get to it this summer, but some times it is easier said than done.

Quick Reply: Doing Plenum next week