2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

replaced intake gasket . . now no fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:17 PM
PetesPonies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replaced intake gasket . . now no fuel pressure

and the fuel gauge isn't working. What did I do? knock loose ? Engine was running fine, tore it apart for new intake gasket . . big job. But its down, go to start it and no pressure in the fuel line. The fuel gauge is showing empty when there is about 1/2 tank . . all just happened during the gasket replacement.5.2L engine. Help.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

what truck u got and what year?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:52 PM
PetesPonies

2002 1500

Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 PM
huseman808
Captain

can you hear your fuel pump kick on when the truck is in the run position before starting?

it may be a coincidence that your fuel pump went bad. did you have the PCM unhooked? check the connections on that if you did. or fuel pump relay. try these things and let us know
\good luck

Old 08-11-2010, 10:31 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

With the fuel gauge showing an empty tank but you know you have half a tank does not mean you dont have fuel pressure. That means the float in the tank isnt working or being read by the gauge.

But with that being said, I am assuming you are connecting a fuel gauge to the fuel port on the fuel rails and trying to read pressure?

Maybe there is a wire you pulled loose or didnt reconnect that goes to the fuel pump or ASD relay

Old 08-12-2010, 07:44 AM
PetesPonies

No fuel pressure because I press the schrader valve and get nothing, not even a ppsssstttt. The fact that the gauge isn't working happened at the same time. So it appears I have no power to the fuel circuit. What I was hoping was someone had a connection between me removing the intake and associated wiring that may have nixed the fuel system. I cannot figure where it could have happened. All I did was remove the negative battery terminal and push the schrader to remove pressure before I disconnected the injectors. As far I can see, this is the only thing I did that had anything to do with fuel pressure.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:18 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If the engine is not running then there is not going to be any pressure on the fuel line.

Since you do nto have a fuel pressure valve, try getting a buddy and take the valve out of the fuel rail and wrap towels of cloths around it so no gas gets spilled and have your buddy crank the truck while YOU watch the fuel rail valve and see if fuel gets spit out.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:27 AM
PetesPonies

There should be fuel pressure once the fuel pump comes on. I do not hear the pump coming on when the key is turned. I have to think the power to the pickup assembly and the pump is coming through the same source as bth went dead at the same time. Also, I just realized the truck is a 2001, sorry. Its not mine, I did the intake gasket job for a friend. All day and now this. I checked the relays and have power to the control point on the asd and fuel system. I swapped around the relays too. It has to be be something simple stupid here that I did somehow.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:01 AM
PetesPonies

also have a no bus on the cluster. What is that?

Old 08-12-2010, 11:11 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

no bus means you have no power to a circuit. Have you checked the fuel pump relay and fuse?

You should be able to turn the ignition to RUN(don't start) for a few sec. and then turn the key off and there should be pressure at the schrader valve. It takes a while to bleed the pressure off back into the tank. I'd suggest covering your face. I place a towel over my hand when I press the vale to ensure gas doesn't squirt in your eyes.

Also, I'll move this to 2nd Gen ram where you may have better help(also where it belongs)

Quick Reply: replaced intake gasket . . now no fuel pressure