2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What cause that "bulge" in the radiator's top row. see pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:25 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by notanexit7
Thanks, I've burped it before but not when it was hot. I'll try it out in the morning. If it's blowing a lot of coolant back at me does that mean the head is the culprit?
Generally, yes. For the most part, when they are that bad though, the cooling system won't hold pressure, and you get coolant running out the spark plug holes. (assuming the spark plugs aren't there.....) Something else you might try, is when the engine is nice an warm, and before you put the cap back on, put the pressure tester on their, pump it up to about 10 pounds, and see what it does. (don't crank it up to 15 pounds, the engine is still hot, and pressure should build some if everything is as it should be.)

Old 08-20-2010, 12:23 AM
notanexit7
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright I didn't have time to burp the truck today but I did notice that on the hose coming from the water pump into the firewall, there is a hose connector like thing connecting the two hoses together and directly under that on the exhaust manifold, there is a white residue. Could this be where coolant is dripping out and evaporating??

Old 08-20-2010, 08:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

Originally Posted by notanexit7
Alright I didn't have time to burp the truck today but I did notice that on the hose coming from the water pump into the firewall, there is a hose connector like thing connecting the two hoses together and directly under that on the exhaust manifold, there is a white residue. Could this be where coolant is dripping out and evaporating??
Entirely possible.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:27 PM
arabstar1982

The radiator on my truck expanded like that, so much in fact my Dad put a clip across the top to keep the radiator where it should be and the damn thing just started expanded around the clip. We did replace the radiator, but I drove the truck like that for at least a year, probably longer. I would put coolant in it, and it would never be real full, never leaked, so I don't know where it was holding all of the coolant, but truck never overheated, never blew a hose or anything else, maybe I got lucky. We don't know what made the radiator expand either. Truck has 216,000 miles on it, new radiator has about 5,000 miles and we are pretty sure it was the original radiator we replaced.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:36 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Expansion and contraction and cheap Chinese crap is what causes the bulge.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:35 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

This will give you an idea of how much!!! Your profile says Canada/Florida so i used Fort Lauderdale zip code for the shipping. This is at rockauto.com. You can search the forum and sometimes you can find a discount code!! Hope it helps! Good luck!!

PartPriceCoreQuantityTotalRemove1997 DODGE RAM 1500 PICKUP 5.2L 318cid V8 CNG MFI (T) OHVCooling System : RadiatorVISTA-PRO Part # 431335 {#1552, 9122}
Ready Rad; Fits w/ MAX Cooling
Ready Rad; Fits w/ HD Cooling
Ready Rad; Fits w/o AC
Ready Rad; Fits w/ AC$107.79
Subtotal$107.79
Postal Code: Shipping: Ground (FedEx or UPS) ($18.92)
Total$126.71

Quick Reply: What cause that "bulge" in the radiator's top row. see pictures.