2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E-Fans Installed (Small Problem ) Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nathangfnd

nice setup where did you get it from
http://www.ffdynamics.com/

Old 08-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

How do you have your switch wired? Also, probe port 86 on the secondary relay with your switch is engauged. I'll assume you have power to rule out a stuck relay. It is wierd that when you turn the key off, everything is good, but if you flip the switch it half works. Also is it the first fan or second fan that shuts off?
The switch is wired off the yellow wire from the controller that is also wired into the ignition source as indicated in the instructions. Everything works perfect except the switch will not kill Fan # 2 wired to the second relay not the controller .

Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You'll need to call the company and find out what that blue wire is feeding to the secondary relay. Is it the key-on ignition signal or temp probe signal? If it's the ignition signal, I'd say the relay or fan controller is bad. If it's the temp probe, then hot temps are the reason it won't shut off.

When a signal comes down that blue wire to the secondary relay, it completes a circuit to the black ground wire at pin 86. That in turn energizes the "gate" in the relay to allow current to flow from pin 30 to pin 87. The signal from the blue wire is what allows the 2nd fan to blow.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 08-20-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Pacmanloads
Captain

OK...I called them and they gave me a series of tests to do with a test light. They claim that my wiring is bad...I say that I followed the directions and triple checked them. They want me to do several tests on that blue wire and that will tell them if i have wired it correctly. I will Let you know what happens....I am also gonna switch the secondary relay with one I purchased @ NAPA and see if it fixes the problem.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Pacmanloads
Captain

Well I changed the relay and it works perfectly.....there is a 5 second delay for fan # 2 to shut off , but I can live with that . Thanks for all your help Guys !!!!

Old 08-21-2010, 10:38 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad it was a cheap and easy fix. It can be maddening when it comes down to a faulty part.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:38 PM
gertie240
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

looks to me like the second relay maybe getting its trip signal from the a/c . Was the a/c on during these tests? Green wire into contrller, does it have voltage when bypass switch is opened? that is I mean turned off with the ignition on.

Quick Reply: E-Fans Installed (Small Problem ) Pictures