2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Marine battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 10:41 AM
95 Jamin Ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Marine battery

i need a new battery and was thinking about picking up one of those marine batterys from walmart. Do you think it would burn up my starter and have to much power or it would just be fine? cause i also have a sub in my truck and that also drains the battery

Old 08-21-2010, 11:21 AM
95 Jamin Ram
Professional

or whats a good cheap battery

Old 08-21-2010, 11:46 AM
seabass202
Veteran

as far as marine batteries go, there are starting batteries and deep cycle batteries used for trolling motors etc. the deep cycle batteries arn't really designed for the quick amp draw required to start the engine so if you wanted a marine battery I would go with the marine starting battery. maybe something with more cold cranking amps but you could get that with an automotive battery also. I think the only benifit of a marine battery at that point would be the extra bracing marine batteries have internally so rough seas and waves don't dislodge the plates. might be a bonus if you go offroad and stuff but I think that's about it. I don't know how far you want to go but the deisel rams run two batteries, you could get the additional mount and wire in a deep cycle for your subs etc...

Old 08-21-2010, 02:47 PM
J McWillis
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many watts is the amp for the sub? If it's a single sub setup I can't imagine it being extremely powerful unless it's a top of the line setup. If it's just a plain ol system, a brand new battery from O'Reillys or NAPA that fits the truck will be more than powerful enough.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a guy on youtube that explains the difference between
starter and deep cell batteries, just search for "starter vs deep cell batteries".
He has about 25 videos on there some are very informitive.
I dont remeber his id, im at work and they have youtube blocked.

Dave

Quick Reply: Marine battery