2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dayum! i need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:43 PM
eyedontneedaname
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dayum! i need help

well i was trying to figgure out why my 4*4 wouldnt work. so i started taking my cad cover off and low and behold, its just full of mud? i know this isnt right. it cant be, well ive neve had or worked on a front axle nor the cad system so just trying to figgure out where to start.

i know i need to buy a vacume shift motor and shift fork. those are just trashed. so im thinking of going with the posi lock.

but heres where i need help. i clean out all the mud and now the axles just bounce around inside of my axle casing. what the hell have i just done?

Old 08-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. That's not good. Start ordering parts and tools.
http://quad4x4.com/Dodge%20Tools.htm
You've probably got trashed bearings and seals.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:59 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the axles are suspended in the tubes.
they slide into the side gears at the diff.
the passenger inner should have a bushing or bearing at the inside edge of the cad opening.
the passenger inner and outer fit inside one another using a second bushing.
the outer end of the axles bolt up to the knuckle.

so the axle tube is hollow, and all the mud and crap goes down the tube. at the inside end of the tube is the oil seal. this is supposed to keep the oil in and the mud out.

you need a complete cad, bushing, seal replacement. not too expensive if you shop around. i got the bushings from a jeep shop for about $5-10 each. get the good seals from napa (SKF) or advance (National). damn a timken seal !!!! crap..

Old 08-23-2010, 07:37 PM
eyedontneedaname

thank you! you just explained what i neeeded, i looked all over the net and in the manual, stilll nada. i justy needed it in laymans terms.

well after thinking. im going with the posilock for sure. it just an extra $60 from the vacuum motor plus i need a shift fork also, and i think they come with one??

ether way i just like the mechanical aspect it more than price, and the fact that ill never need to worry about vacuum problems again. now i need to work on my evap system leak...

Old 08-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Scottr1110
Veteran

posi loc doesnt come with a shift fork had to swap it from mine to the posilock. Make sure u take your time and get it adjusted well because it will pop out alot if its not adjusted

Old 08-24-2010, 01:32 PM
DDIRI
Professional

you might Be interested in this

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ite-up-595515/

That is if you wanted to save some money. I know its another forum but its the best write up I've found. Let me know how it goes as I will be converting mine over as soon as I finish my motor swap.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:02 AM
eyedontneedaname

hell i blew the old motors head gasket at 155k so i bought a new one out of a '00 with 70k for $500. i have to fix this axel then gears. ill be happy

Originally Posted by DDIRI
you might Be interested in this

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...ite-up-595515/

That is if you wanted to save some money. I know its another forum but its the best write up I've found. Let me know how it goes as I will be converting mine over as soon as I finish my motor swap.

WHY IS THIS HOME MADE POSI LOCK NOT SET AS A DIY???

Last edited by eyedontneedaname; 08-27-2010 at 02:10 AM.

Quick Reply: dayum! i need help