2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 sensor, mileage

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2010 | 09:47 PM
1997DodgeRam
Professional
Default Can't wait for your MPG results

Originally Posted by jswain
I have a 98 4wd, 360, auto, 3.55 gears. Has had a recent tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor button). Has never had plenum replaced in 147k miles. I can't make it spark knock if I try, and it passes the tsb test and burns very little oil, so I think the plenum is ok for now. It has never had the 02 sensor replaced. It runs great and has no codes. I was thinking about replacing the front 02 sensor just to see if I could possibly get a little better gas mileage. Currently, I can get about 13 mpg, mostly highway (hilly highway), running about 70 with cruise on. So what do you guys think? Try the 02 sensor and see if it helps any, or is 13 mpg about it and I should spend the money on something else? I've seen posts where people say they get 18 mpg and what not, but I'm a little skeptical of their math.
I am sitting at the same point, just one year older. I think about the plenum regularly, but can't bring myself to dedicate that much time to tear into a 147k motor that runs great. I change the oil every 5k and don't consume more than half a quart in the interval. I have done the TSB vacumn check a few times and still seems to be holding fine. I pulled the throttle body to clean it and it looked good down there. I am also still running the original O2 sensors and getting 13mpg mixed highway/city as a DD, so let me know how that change goes for you, and I might be right behind you swapping out an O2. We'll also see who blows the plenum first or gives in to peer pressure.

Old 09-04-2010 | 12:23 PM
jswain
|
Veteran

I actually would like to do the plenum repair with the hughes kit, just for peace of mind. I think after I did it, I'd be mad at myself for wasting the time and money when nothing changes (mileage, performance). I just don't have the time to dedicate to it with a wife, job, and 2 kids. Can't find a couple of days to take it off the road and work on it. And don't know anyone else I'd trust to do it either. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to it. To the guys that have already done the plenum, after driving a month or so, you're telling me there's no oil down there? Not a film even?

Old 09-04-2010 | 12:31 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Of course there is some film. It is normal to have some from the PCV valve.

Old 09-04-2010 | 08:38 PM
1997DodgeRam
Professional

Originally Posted by jswain
I actually would like to do the plenum repair with the hughes kit, just for peace of mind. I think after I did it, I'd be mad at myself for wasting the time and money when nothing changes (mileage, performance). I just don't have the time to dedicate to it with a wife, job, and 2 kids. Can't find a couple of days to take it off the road and work on it. And don't know anyone else I'd trust to do it either. Maybe one of these days I'll get around to it. To the guys that have already done the plenum, after driving a month or so, you're telling me there's no oil down there? Not a film even?

There you go again saying exactly why I haven't done it yet, right down to 2 kids. humm do I have a second account for my other personality. Damn good thing you are in Miss. I would think I finally lost a grip on my mind. I have to warn you if I ever get the time to do that plenum for piece of mind I am going to swear that it made a world of difference to justify it to myself.

Old 09-04-2010 | 08:46 PM
dodgeman52
Captain

my truck only had 60k when my plenum started leaking but i guess sometimes u get lucky

Old 09-04-2010 | 11:08 PM
jswain
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
Whatever DF bud. Just so you know. If you search here for the posts I've made in the last few years, you will find one or two where I state the factory TSB test is a waste of time. Both of my trucks passed that useless test. And when I took them apart, sure enough the gaskets were blown. The 98 was real bad and the 2000 was a small leak which thank God I caught before bigger problems . Which is all I was trying to tell you. Have a great Labor Day weekend and don't drink too much like I am going to. LOL

Actually how stupid am I? LOL I have worked on at least 30 various Magnum motors from Rams to Jeeps to Dakotas, helping people out. Not just my two. And before I found this site, I just replaced the lower gasket. Since then those people or there rides are long gone. So I don't know the results of how long the the gasket actually lasted.
Thanks, have a good one. I guess I should've bought the plenum kit while I have a long weekend. Lol. Seriously, I would like to do the fix for if no other reason just out of curiosity to see if the gasket is in fact blown or ok when I take it off. I always feel a bit guilty ignoring my young kids and working on the truck all day if its not absolutely necessary. So if that vacuum test doesn't work, what does? I've had tb off for cleaning, and there is a little oil in there, but no "pooling" as I've seen it described. Unsure how it would pool in there anyway, looks like it would stay sucked out (not that that would be a good thing). Idk. Anyway, have fun drinkin, just don't wind up on an episode of cops. Lol

Old 09-05-2010 | 07:21 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

You need one of those small mirrors so you can look around real good.

Quick Reply: 02 sensor, mileage