2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turbo Or What ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:14 AM
dodgeram2001
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Or What ?

so has any one on here tried to turbo charged their ram let me know if its worth is or not what would be the way to go turbo or just get a new motor , all i have is the 318 with no mods so just throwing it out there ? so i have came across the turbo kit company called sts turbo kit http://www.ststurbo.com/ let me know what is the way to go if you have any ideas im sure someone has some.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:19 AM
Salex007
Captain

get the other mods taken care of first before turbo, like heads, cam, tuner, intake mainfold etc

Old 09-07-2010, 03:07 AM
ColoradoRamLover
Veteran

Look it up on youtube. Some guy did it in Arizona, it was pretty sick. From what I remember he put in a CTD radiator and what not.

If you do it, I gotta see a vid of you burnin some rubber! itll be saweet!

Old 09-07-2010, 03:48 AM
Raine883
Rookie

There whole site looks a little off to me, 2.3 lbs of boost? Rear mount turbos are a joke, They make no low end power, thats not something you want in a heavy truck. hel they make no torque on an ls1 until 5k rpms. http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te.../photo_16.html

Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Turbo on a stock kegger is a bad idea. I don't know if a good plenum gasket can handle any boost but an airgap or m1 would be a good idea before adding a turbo.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:16 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can run 6 lbs opf boost on a stock motor: Here is a good thread. 6-8 lbs of boost works well. He said he was not going to go 10 lbs of boost before welding the plate to the plenum.

http://www.bionicdodge.com/bionic/in...p?topic=9467.0

Old 09-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Raine883
There whole site looks a little off to me, 2.3 lbs of boost? Rear mount turbos are a joke, They make no low end power, thats not something you want in a heavy truck. hel they make no torque on an ls1 until 5k rpms. http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te.../photo_16.html
Turbos aren't meant for low end power. ANY turbo that spools super low in the RPM range will choke the engine at high RPMs, I don't care if it's in the engine bay or a trailer behind the truck. Not to mention the high cylinder pressures (remember with a turbo you've got drive pressure as well) when you try forcing boost into an engine at low RPMs where it can't use the air. If you want low end power, you want a positive displacement blower. The whole idea of a turbo is that you retain perfect drivability until you punch it. Mine spools around 2k, plenty low enough and I can easily drive and stay out of boost and get the same fuel mileage as before.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:58 PM
99Silver1500
Rookie

A turbo is a great option if you want performance and keep some fuel economy. the trick is to keep out of the turbo range while cruising around. I am not a fan of the under vehicle systems. the only advantage to them is to keep under hood temps down however they are terribly prone to picking up water even with snorkel kits. If you go this route a snorkel kit is a must IMHO. and triple check that it is tight or you are going to be buying a new engine. and no matter what they tell you a waste gate or a inter-cooler, will not remove water from the system. anyone who says that does not know what they are doing.

I second that I would not do this mod with a stock plenum... even with a huges I would keep your boost to 4lbs or under. I just dont trust the dang things to hold up to extended abuse of increased pressure.

Hahns sounds like you got a nice setup, any more info on yours?

Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 99Silver1500
A turbo is a great option if you want performance and keep some fuel economy. the trick is to keep out of the turbo range while cruising around. I am not a fan of the under vehicle systems. the only advantage to them is to keep under hood temps down however they are terribly prone to picking up water even with snorkel kits. If you go this route a snorkel kit is a must IMHO. and triple check that it is tight or you are going to be buying a new engine. and no matter what they tell you a waste gate or a inter-cooler, will not remove water from the system. anyone who says that does not know what they are doing.

I second that I would not do this mod with a stock plenum... even with a huges I would keep your boost to 4lbs or under. I just dont trust the dang things to hold up to extended abuse of increased pressure.

Hahns sounds like you got a nice setup, any more info on yours?
I've never heard of ANYONE picking up water with their remote kits. My filter stays bone dry driving around in the rain and it sits right on the turbo. You don't want to go bombing into huge puddles and rivers but rain is really a non-issue (other than traction problems )

With a Ram there is a large amount of space in front of the engine, I also have a lot of room under the hood of my truck but the AC lines ruin everything, not to mention there was MUCH less downtime building a remote setup, with an enigne bay setup you've gotta flip the manifolds and/or weld up a bunch of crossover tubing then try and snake a downpipe out of the engine bay, not really an option for me since it's my DD. Also the sound of the turbo when it's mounted out back with such a short downpipe is unreal.

I built everything myself using a Holset H1C with a 21cm housing (Like you would find on a 1st gen CTD). Currently at 4-5PSI, had it at 7PSI but I'm staying conservative till I get Megasquirt up and running so it's tuned properly, the FMU runs out of fuel much past 4k.

The stock Bottom end will hold up to a lot with a good tune. Duner has been running 15PSI and an estimated 600-650HP on his stock bottom end 5.9 for years now, going 10s in his Dakota.

Last edited by Hahns5.2; 09-07-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 PM
dodgeram2001
Professional

If i did the turbo i wouldnt put it under the truck i would build a box behind the cab and put stacks on my truck so if i would go in the mud and water it wouldnt suck up water and crap so that would be cool ?

Quick Reply: Turbo Or What ?