2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Turbo Or What ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 PM
dodgeram2001
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

o and can you just get any turbo and do it your self ?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Raine883
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hahns5.2
Turbos aren't meant for low end power. ANY turbo that spools super low in the RPM range will choke the engine at high RPMs, I don't care if it's in the engine bay or a trailer behind the truck. Not to mention the high cylinder pressures (remember with a turbo you've got drive pressure as well) when you try forcing boost into an engine at low RPMs where it can't use the air. If you want low end power, you want a positive displacement blower. The whole idea of a turbo is that you retain perfect drivability until you punch it. Mine spools around 2k, plenty low enough and I can easily drive and stay out of boost and get the same fuel mileage as before.

Here's why ear-mounting your turbos is a bad idea: turbochargers work by converting the heat energy in exhaust gasses into mechanical energy, which in turn is used to spin an air compressor that feeds into the engine.
Put the turbo way down at the end of the exhaust plumbing and you've lost a ton of exhaust heat and gas velocity, which makes the turbocharger much less efficient at boosting power. Shooting yourself in the foot, is the scientific term. I agree that a supercharger would be ideal for his situation, Ive owned 3 dsms and a supercharged el camino, im pretty familiar with forced induction.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:32 PM
jhammond_82
Rookie

considering this route myself. for the price of rods, pistons, machine work, turbo, piping, intercooler, injectors, oil lines, wg, and bov, you can build a very potent small block for a good bit less than sts kits cost. and i would never do a rear mount setup. yeah, its hidden and cleans up the engine bay, but, what about weather is what my question would be. sts is something more for like, a vehicle that wouldn't see off roading, or snow, or alot of rain, know what i mean? but, you can build a pretty stout turbo set up for a fairly decent amount of money. do some research on parts, and you'll see...master power makes a good turbo, so does borg warner, turbonetics ect.... not sure what your budget is, but i know for a fact, i can put together a turbo setup for a small block for about 2k. and that includes exhaust piping, intercooler piping practically EVERYTHING needed. expect some down time while you fab the piping up, since this will be the way to save ALOT of money. not everything needs to be a name brand either. piping, who cares what brand piping you have, lol. stuff like that. anyway, good luck on your venture!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:38 PM
jhammond_82
Rookie

oh, and to add to what the others have said... sure, supercharging it would be ideal or logical. but, why not be different? why not be creative? be YOU! lol. turbo cars are bad ***. supercharged cars are fast too, but nothing like the feeling of a spooling turbo pushing you back in the seat harder and harder. lol. with a supercharger, you would have a "kit". installed, just like EVERYONE elses. with a turbo setup, it would be a one off deal. (considering you do the fab work yourself that is) and thats the fun of it! ok, /rant lol.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:56 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If i did the turbo i wouldnt put it under the truck i would build a box behind the cab and put stacks on my truck so if i would go in the mud and water it wouldnt suck up water and crap so that would be cool ?
I kicked around the idea of a bed mount setup as well, it has been done.

o and can you just get any turbo and do it your self ?
No, there are more different turbos out there than you can shake a stick at. You need something sized correctly for you application.
Originally Posted by Raine883
Here's why ear-mounting your turbos is a bad idea: turbochargers work by converting the heat energy in exhaust gasses into mechanical energy, which in turn is used to spin an air compressor that feeds into the engine.
Put the turbo way down at the end of the exhaust plumbing and you've lost a ton of exhaust heat and gas velocity, which makes the turbocharger much less efficient at boosting power. Shooting yourself in the foot, is the scientific term. I agree that a supercharger would be ideal for his situation, Ive owned 3 dsms and a supercharged el camino, im pretty familiar with forced induction.
I'm well aware of how turbos work. The heat/power loss by going to a rear turbo is not substantial, the difference isn't as much as you would think, STS has proven this is a viable alternative and makes a good profit by doing so. No it will never be as efficient as a front mount, but the difference is small for the average Joe.

And I said positive displacement blower guys, like a Kenne Bell, not a centrifugal blower. A centrifugal blower builds boost with RPMs, max boost is reached at max RPM, not good for low end, a turbo is better IMO.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:27 PM
99Silver1500
Rookie

I've never heard of ANYONE picking up water with their remote kits. My filter stays bone dry driving around in the rain and it sits right on the turbo. You don't want to go bombing into huge puddles and rivers but rain is really a non-issue (other than traction problems )
I can think of a handful... maybe more if I really thought of it. course I know some front mounted ones with low intakes that have grenaded due to water as well.. a few of them may just have been kids driving through puddles trying to be cool. one maybe a bad placement. just know more of them to go boom then I know of traditionally mounted ones... and my theory has always been pro-action and protection costs less then re-action.

yours looks like it's nicely tucked into the frame so it has a bit of extra protection. could be a bit of a helper. looks like a nice setup, glad to hear your happy with it.

a true blower will give you loads of power at the onset... well slightly after pressing your foot to the floor however at higher RPM it's going to work less and starve the engine of air, just the opposite of an exhaust driven blower (better known as a turbo) modern kits get around it by moving them physically off the manifold and using a blow off valve much like a turbo so that in the upper rpm ranges it doesn't starve the engine of air. I personally prefer a blower, 90% of the time a turbo charged honda pulls up to my MG with a blower, even with a good build the honda will be too far behind by the time his turbo kicks in. if I really need it the small bottle in the back will ensure he's history, but usually if i'm thinking he's going to be too much of a challenge i'll just add a few hairpins into the race... round here people either handle well or go fast in a straight line... not many do both.

Best advise with either.... don't piecemeal it together, either have a shop help you come up with a good kit or buy a kit specific for your vehicle. take a little time and pay out a little for advice (though a good shop should give it to you for free) ask if they have done it to your vehicle before, ask if they have references you can talk to. your going to be happier having a properly built kit for your vehicle then one that just got thrown together from what was laying around (IE the cheapest)

Old 09-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The stock Bottom end will hold up to a lot with a good tune. Duner has been running 15PSI and an estimated 600-650HP on his stock bottom end 5.9 for years now, going 10s in his Dakota.
I can run 10's in my Ram.
We're talking 0-60 times right?

Quick Reply: Turbo Or What ?