2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

in need of guidance( repost from Dodge truck thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 10:01 PM
mapex180
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in need of guidance( repost from Dodge truck thread)

Hello all, I am I need of a little guidance with my 2001 ram1500 5.9L 4X4. I have had the truck for about 18 months, had the transmission rebuilt in April and have been having an intermittent check engine light. The error code keeps coming up as 0142(bank 1 sensor 1), I replaced the 02 sensor and when the light came back on I took it to the dealership. They told me it was the PCM putting out too high voltage. Since I have replaced the computer 3 times with a rebuilt one from a company in Florida and also done the 02 sensor each time. About 3 days ago I began to have a loss of power upon take off, spitting, sputtering, black smoke coming from the exhaust, and a funky smelling exhaust ( not really rotten eggs smell though). I now have error codes 0142 and 0171 and I am getting about 4 miles to the gallon. I just replaced the 02 sensor 2 weeks ago; the light went out for about a week. With the current symptoms I was considering replacing the catalytic converter and a tune up. I have also done the IAC valve and TPS. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Old 09-08-2010, 12:10 AM
maddog 23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the cat is toast. The O2 sensor would give stange readings with a plugged cat. They usually don't smoke, but I've seen stranger things happen. If you have a high temperture thermometer, measure the temp of the exhaust pipe just before the cat and about 6 inches after. A significant difference would mean a plugged cat.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

And the cat is toast because the lower intake gasket is blown. Do a search here for "plenum"

Quick Reply: in need of guidance( repost from Dodge truck thread)