2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Oxygen Sensor Should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 PM
markbeagle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Oxygen Sensor Should I get?

Well I've been coming here for advice for a while and this is the first thing thats come up that a search wouldn't solve.

96 dodge p.u. with single exhaust

I have two oxygen sensors on my truck one post-cat and one pre-cat. and I'm wanting to replace the pre-cat one.

Is this the upstream one, it seems like it would be to me. And also they're talking about right and left bank and I'm not sure what that means either. I'm not a mechanic as you can probably tell.

Someone on here said to get the NTK one. They are at Rock Auto and the options are a little confusing to me.

Should I get NTK Part # 23506- pre-cat, left bank

Or NTK Part # 23104 -post cat, pre-cat, right bank

It's greek to me.

Can anyone help me out with which one to get for the pre-cat?

I'd sure appreciate it!

Old 09-08-2010, 02:43 AM
CBR900RR19
Professional

Originally Posted by markbeagle
Well I've been coming here for advice for a while and this is the first thing thats come up that a search wouldn't solve.

96 dodge p.u. with single exhaust

I have two oxygen sensors on my truck one post-cat and one pre-cat. and I'm wanting to replace the pre-cat one.

Is this the upstream one, it seems like it would be to me. And also they're talking about right and left bank and I'm not sure what that means either. I'm not a mechanic as you can probably tell.

Someone on here said to get the NTK one. They are at Rock Auto and the options are a little confusing to me.

Should I get NTK Part # 23506- pre-cat, left bank

Or NTK Part # 23104 -post cat, pre-cat, right bank

It's greek to me.

Can anyone help me out with which one to get for the pre-cat?

I'd sure appreciate it!

Well I just went through this myself. I asked around on here for suggestions as to brand didn't get too much help other than some have had problems with Bosch. Well I found a local parts store that had STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # SG1816 and thats what I just installed. Pigtail was plenty long enough to reach connector on top of the tranny. Trucks runs like its brand new!!! Good Luck

Oh but if you want to use NTK which is NGK's O2 sensor it should be the pre cat right bank sensor but I believe the # is 23014

Last edited by CBR900RR19; 09-08-2010 at 02:46 AM. Reason: adding info
Old 09-08-2010, 04:49 AM
markbeagle

Thanks a lot for replying. So the S.M.P # SG1816 had the right connector with it?
I'll get that one if it does, since they have that one also.

You're right I messed up the number on the NTK.

Good to hear your truck is running like it should. I've lost some power lately and did the plenum and timing chain and tune-up. That helped a lot, but it's still running a little crummy and my mechanic recommended replacing the oxygen sensor and said I could do it myself so I'll try it.

Thanks a bunch,
Mark

Old 09-08-2010, 05:09 AM
CBR900RR19
Professional

Originally Posted by markbeagle
Thanks a lot for replying. So the S.M.P # SG1816 had the right connector with it?
I'll get that one if it does, since they have that one also.

You're right I messed up the number on the NTK.

Good to hear your truck is running like it should. I've lost some power lately and did the plenum and timing chain and tune-up. That helped a lot, but it's still running a little crummy and my mechanic recommended replacing the oxygen sensor and said I could do it myself so I'll try it.

Thanks a bunch,
Mark

The connector that comes on it is a universal type one of the plastic key ways is slight larger so it fits either post or pre cat...

Old 09-08-2010, 07:20 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the pre-cat is the upstream.

the application parts guides are all pretty poor on this. listing the left/right as Federal emission when the 4 cat setup is California only. There is also an Auto/Manual listing.

here's all that's important.
1. count your O2's.
2. disconnect your electrical plug on top of trans and see if its round or square.
3. decide whether you want a direct fit with a plug, or whether you want to splice in a universal into your stock pigtail. its foolproof, 4 colored wires.
4. shop for best price. internet pricing is usually a lot cheaper than autozone/bosch.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:33 AM
markbeagle

Thanks for the extra info. Very informative. I crawled under there and it didn't seem like the connector was all that accessible. But I'll try it again now that I know what I'm looking for and see if I can get it unplugged.

Quick Reply: Which Oxygen Sensor Should I get?