2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Black Soot?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:23 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Black Soot?!

Alright, now I'm pretty sure that I DIDN'T buy a diesel, but I have some black soot in my tailpipe.
Its is of a rather chalky texture, not oily, chalky. Like diesel soot.

Is this some sort of blow-by (oh God please no) or is it just running rich?
I have only noticed it recently.

Old 09-08-2010, 01:19 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that is normal. First truck?

Old 09-08-2010, 01:40 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

First "older" truck.
I was a little worried cause my dads truck didn't have any, and my sisters 97 (360) didn't have a lot.
Thats a relief.
What causes that anyway? Improper burn? Would changing the (platnum lol) plugs help any?

I will be changing the plugs anyway here soon (I hope). Its got platnums and idles weird.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:26 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

THe only platinum plugs that work with our trucks are pulstars. Cmckenna did a comparison with them and NGKs.

But for the most part, our trucks like the copper electrodes.

I think the soot is caused by the sheer amount of fuel that our trucks guzzle coupled with the fact that carbon monoxide is 50% CARBON.

If the soot is chalky, that is because the carbon is sticking to your tailpipe. Sometimes using seafoam while opening up the throttle body to make it sound like repeated high revs (like douchebags at stoplights). Sometimes you can see a lot of carbon go through the tailpipe. It did that when I had sidepipes (shorter exhaust and no cats).

I really would not worry about that. Keep the platinums unless they make you drive weird.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd pull the plats and go get some $2 cheap good old Champion Copper plugs..

Old 09-08-2010, 06:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrashocker
+1, and I'll assume you did your research here about the plenum. At the very least, if the precat o2 sensor has never been changed, I'd think about it.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:47 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
THe only platinum plugs that work with our trucks are pulstars. Cmckenna did a comparison with them and NGKs.

But for the most part, our trucks like the copper electrodes.

I think the soot is caused by the sheer amount of fuel that our trucks guzzle coupled with the fact that carbon monoxide is 50% CARBON.

If the soot is chalky, that is because the carbon is sticking to your tailpipe. Sometimes using seafoam while opening up the throttle body to make it sound like repeated high revs (like douchebags at stoplights). Sometimes you can see a lot of carbon go through the tailpipe. It did that when I had sidepipes (shorter exhaust and no cats).

I really would not worry about that. Keep the platinums unless they make you drive weird.
They make it idle like a stroker. I don't want that since its not a stroker.
They are worn weird anyway.
Originally Posted by hydrashocker
Planned on it.
Originally Posted by zman17
+1, and I'll assume you did your research here about the plenum. At the very least, if the precat o2 sensor has never been changed, I'd think about it.
My plenum is fine right now. There is a bunch of oil junk on the passenger side of the pan by the PCV. I would presume the PCV might need changing.

If it does it would explain why when I started the truck up after school I got a huge cloud of blue smoke.
I'm just glad the lot was mostly cleared out and the time.

Quick Reply: Black Soot?!