2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

180 back to 195 thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 11:18 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
If your truck is running at 240 in the freeway, isn't there a bigger underlying issue that your avoiding.
the way I understand it...his thermostat failed stuck closed...

Old 09-15-2010, 12:24 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I've been running mine for a couple months (ish) with no problems in my 2001.

I second the others' thoughts, I think you had a bad t-stat. They can be bad out of the box. What brand of t-stat was it?

Old 09-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Old Dodge 1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thermostat with 180*

Originally Posted by redseal
Installed a 180 degree stat awhile ago the same time I replaced the plenum and gave tuneup. Just went back to the stock 195. Got sick of the check engine light throwing codes. Seemed like it would throw a code every two days. From what I've read, out of all the 2nd gen trucks, the 2001 seems to do this the most. Dodge must have done something a bit different with the computer.

Now, since returning to the 195 thermostat, the truck runs better and the pinging has stopped. I feel its running better and expect to get better gas mileage. Maybe due to the computer not throwing so much fuel in combustion due to it now reading it has warmed up fully.

Anybody's 2001 not throw the codes?
I'm having the exact same problem as you. When I did all my work replacing my intake manifold, timing chain, oil pump and water pump etc. I decided to go ahead and do a complete tuneup. Part of the tuneup was replacing the thermostat with 180*. I also went back with a heavy-duty fan clutch. My question is will it screw up anything leaving it like it is. I have a SCT Tuner and every time my PCM throws that code I just reset it. The truck has never run better. Also I did we locate my I.A.T sensor, moved it to the stock air intake system inlet upstream like the Hughes manual said to. I'm getting excellent gas mileage when I keep my foot out of it!!! So what or your thoughts?

Old 09-15-2010, 02:18 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my thermostat failed stuck closed one side of my rad was so hot I could not tuch it the other side was cold

Old 09-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

180 stat on mine and it runs at 180 verified from temp sensor for the OBDII. Now, I don't run one year round just for the fact that Missouri does get some pretty cold days here in the winter time, and I need all the heater I can get.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:36 PM
J McWillis
Professional

Had a 180 on mine since I did the plenum fix (around 3 months) and haven't had any problems. I'll be leaving mine in year-round cause it don't get too cold down here in these parts of TX. Laramie's just a sissy

Old 09-15-2010, 09:07 PM
redseal
Rookie

Originally Posted by jasonw
I've been running mine for a couple months (ish) with no problems in my 2001.

I second the others' thoughts, I think you had a bad t-stat. They can be bad out of the box. What brand of t-stat was it?

I very well could of had a bat t-stat. Whatever brand hughes has is what it was. Bought it with the plenum plate.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 PM
redseal
Rookie

Originally Posted by Old Dodge 1
I'm having the exact same problem as you. When I did all my work replacing my intake manifold, timing chain, oil pump and water pump etc. I decided to go ahead and do a complete tuneup. Part of the tuneup was replacing the thermostat with 180*. I also went back with a heavy-duty fan clutch. My question is will it screw up anything leaving it like it is. I have a SCT Tuner and every time my PCM throws that code I just reset it. The truck has never run better. Also I did we locate my I.A.T sensor, moved it to the stock air intake system inlet upstream like the Hughes manual said to. I'm getting excellent gas mileage when I keep my foot out of it!!! So what or your thoughts?

If your happy with it and don't mind reseting the pcm all the time, It will be fine. Not going to hurt anything. I still think though if the computer thinks the motor is cold, its going to put more gas in it, kinda like a choke, so it won't be running at optimum efficiency.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:46 AM
thompson1986
Rookie

i was told thats why my 97 Ram is throwing a check engine code as well, it doesnt seem to get above 150 if that and the termostat is opening too but i warmed the truck up and got to operating temp, check engine light went away a little while later, then came back on the next day during my normal driving

Quick Reply: 180 back to 195 thermostat