2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum and PCV's- too funny...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 08:54 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, to follow up a little bit- I think I know now why the dude had a gutted PCV in there... According to the parts counter, I'm going to hafta go to the stealer to get that breather junction/connector. Or, I'm going to hafta gut a $1.99 PCV.. which do 'yall reckon is more likely?

lessons learned: Buy the dang Haynes, and when in doubt, ask or go with what you know.. If you don't know, don't go with anything until you do...

Old 09-15-2010, 12:59 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Or you could go over to the HELP section at any parts store and get one of these, part# 47079

Name:  47079.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  5.8 KB

Old 09-15-2010, 01:21 PM
drewactual
Champion

Hey Zman, I was told that part won't fit by the Advanced Auto folks.. It's not like it's expensive, so I'm going to grab it and try it anyway.. It sure looks like it would..

Old 09-15-2010, 02:56 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

It is an OEM size part. The only problem you may encounter is the rubber grommet in the valve cover may also be hardened.

And btw, most of the FOLKS at Advance are kids or morons.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:38 PM
drewactual
Champion

By looking I can tell you the grommet in the valve covers now is far too small for this part..

The smaller end will fit the grommet that's in the covers now I'm thinking, but the larger sized side will never fit the hose I have now.. The larger sized side will never fit in the grommet, though the smaller size may fit the hose. I'm thinking the grommet in it is not OEM because the hose that runs to the CAI appears to fit into the CAI port as intended.. I'm just going to have to get a new set anyway.. Part, and grommet.. I should take pic's of the rig in there now and share them- and maybe you guys won't think I'm crazy then..

I'm telling you, I was more than a little befuddled at the Magnum having two PCV's- because I didn't recall my first one having two.. As I said before though, I just kinda shrugged it off and plugged it in without thinking that much about it- following the rule of thumb "what comes out goes back in"...

This is a problem, I'm learning, when you buy a used vehicle from an independent dealer who bought it at auction and has no clue what was or wasn't done to the vehicle before he bought it.. Another lesson learned is: Any used vehicles I buy from now on will be bought from an individual and not an independent dealer.. Certain things you can see immediately, some you can't.. As far as I know, all the previous owner had had done was install a Volant CAI, (and was nice enough to leave me a 3/8" socket and 1/4" ratchet extension in the CAI box, which I discovered the first time I pulled the filter for a bath).. Other than that, how would you know what was done internally or hidden by things like pans and covers? ...

I'm not sure if I'm saying this right, but you may be getting what I'm dealing with.. It never occurred to me the grommet/gutted PCV wasn't 'sposed to be in there because I have no clue how far from OE the previous guy went, or how much of a hack he was while doing his mods. Quite frankly, I'm thinking I was lucky to even think about asking here, and WOULDN'T have had there NOT been a gutted PCV and clean plenum plate discovered yesterday..

I picked up a Haynes manual today.. Just by that, and this forum- many of my little issues are resolved.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker

make sure you test that plate with a long magnetic tool like dvaughn said... If it doesn't stick, it's aluminum... No sense in pullin it all apart if it's already been done and isn't leaking

Old 09-15-2010, 04:09 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

OMG! It's a very tight fit! And as I mentioned, the grommet may be also be the problem! The elbow breaks apart because of the tight fit.Have fun guys. Get a PCV and gut it. LOL

Old 09-15-2010, 05:32 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
Another lesson learned is: Any used vehicles I buy from now on will be bought from an individual and not an independent dealer.. Certain things you can see immediately, some you can't..
No matter how you slice it, though, that vehicle ended up on the market after being owned by an individual -- whether or not it came to you via a dealership who passed it on to an auction house, that individual was still there. This is why I always look for vehicles that are bone stock and don't appear to have suffered owner maintenance. If I see signs that the previous owner was a cheap bastard, I walk away. A man who'll go cheap on or neglect his maintenance and repairs is a man who doesn't mind walking away from his vehicle, so I don't mind walking away from his vehicle either.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:54 PM
drewactual
Champion

"TINK!!!"~ the magnet sticks.. Looks like I'll be deploying the Hughes kit this weekend..

question: what did dodge do different on the '02 Magnums that they were doing previous? I've read elsewhere where the '02s don't seem to suffer as much from blowing that gasket.. thoughts?

Now, I gotta go read up on this 'keg mod' I keep hearing about.. Looks like it's going to be a weekend long project...

Old 09-15-2010, 09:30 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mopar did make a better replacement gasket that is supposedly superior to the stock one. Perhaps they went with that one in 02.

Quick Reply: Plenum and PCV's- too funny...