2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum and PCV's- too funny...

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Plenum and PCV's- too funny...

I started to do some small things getting ready for the major work this weekend.. One of those small things was swap pcv valve.. three minutes tops, right?

I have a volant cai the previous owner left me... I've opened it up a couple times to clean the filter, and that is about it. This was the case the other day- at what point I thought "self, wonder how old that pcv is?".. uh-oh..

Tonight I yanked that thing, and it disintegrated in my hand.. oops.. curious thing though- the thing has no innards.. it's a straight shot through with only the 90* elbow to slow anything down...

I put the new one in and went to push it into the CAI cap above the TB, and managed to push the grommet into the casing.. whoops.. three minute jobs suck you know..

disassemble the cai, and find the grommet resting on top of the TB (but not in, that was nice..) and then I think of that plenum kit in the garage..

I grab a flash light and precariously balance my extra large self in some dang yoga position or another to peer down the TB into the belly of the keg... and something curious again... huh, "Self" I declare " there ain't a dang drop of oil in that there thing, and I swear it appears to be aluminum in there.."...

three questions-

1. if the plenum isn't leaking, should I continue with the kit?

2. What possible advantage can there be by gutting the PCV? Is there harm running it that way? Will running a new one, after all this time, put the freak on the 'puter?

3. with a gutted PCV, why in the world- or HOW in the world can the inside of the keg be so clean?

(okay that was five questions- whoops- just like a three minute job it got carried away with itself) :-)

thanks in advance...

Old 09-14-2010, 08:20 PM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this has been pondered before if the after market pcv valve was sucking in oil and making it "look" like it was a blown plenum, who knows till you tear it apart , but fram failed and OE mopar still works in my case, as far as pcv valves......

Old 09-14-2010, 08:27 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You're yanking the wrong side.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 PM
drewactual
Champion

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
You're yanking the wrong side.

explain... wrong side?

edited to add-

Oh, I get it.. you think because I spoke of the Volant's hat that I somehow pulled the wrong end of the hose and tried to cram a pcv in there... that's fair enough an assumption I guess.... Nope.. I pulled the entire hose off after breaking the pcv, because the barbed portion was still in the hose..

I pushed the grommet into the hat whilst I was trying to put the hose back on it..

This ain't my first rodeo... I may act dumb- and maybe I am about some things, but I've built more than one engine in my thirty eight years.. And I've enough sense to know which end of a hose a positive crank ventilation gizmo goes in.. :-)

Last edited by drewactual; 09-14-2010 at 09:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:10 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by drewactual
explain... wrong side?
The other valve cover.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:23 PM
drewactual
Champion

now I'm showing my ignorance- the driver side valve cover was easy, and it goes to the throttle plate under the TB.. what the hell is the passenger side for? (which, incidentally had/has the same exact fitting, just gutted..) I've never seen two pcv's on an engine before, but I just shrugged it off and slapped it on there thinkin' it was another of those computer/emission mysteries I keep encountering.. :-)

that does it.. I'm buying the Haynes....

Old 09-14-2010, 09:29 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

Originally Posted by drewactual
now I'm showing my ignorance- the driver side valve cover was easy, and it goes to the throttle plate under the TB.. what the hell is the passenger side for? (which, incidentally had/has the same exact fitting, just gutted..) I've never seen two pcv's on an engine before, but I just shrugged it off and slapped it on there thinkin' it was another of those computer/emission mysteries I keep encountering.. :-)

that does it.. I'm buying the Haynes....
Just to make it short, the PCV goes into the intake manifold and the breather goes to your CAI.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:02 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

to make it long. there is a hose coming off each valve cover.
the side that goes into the breather is a fresh air intake to the engine. the valve cover do-hicky is just a hollow elbow.
the side that goes into the intake should have the real pcv.

there is no advantage of having no pcv. its better to positive ventilation.

you can test your belly pan for aluminum vs steel with a long stick magnet. it would be a damn silly shame to remove the intake and find a perfectly good aluminum plate already there.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:06 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

yes continue with the plenum repair, and do the kegger mod while you're at it (you'll thank yourself) but even if the plenum isnt blown now, it will be in a matter of time, theres no way around it, so get it done now, and then you wont have to worry about it again.....you got the Hughes or APS plenum kit right?

Old 09-14-2010, 10:10 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never mind... others beat me to it...

Last edited by UnregisteredUser; 09-14-2010 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Plenum and PCV's- too funny...