2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum and PCV's- too funny...

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there's 2 different size grommets in the valve cover. big (pcv) vs little (vent).
i think the big one was 1" and the small one was 3/4 or 5/8 or something.

my grommets were hard as rocks, broke the elbow, and i had to cut them out with a knife on both sides. i replaced the little breather elbow/hose with a valve cover breather to eliminate some clutter i'm thinking the hole in the metal valve cover was the same on both sides? and i went to the stealer and got 2 of the larger grommets. i think. it was a long time ago, more than yesterday.

just measure it. the grommets from the stealer weren't much. a couple of bucks.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:29 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Vaughn,

I have a connect for parts that can't be beat.. She knows more about parts than I will ever know, and can give you a rundown of a car/truck or particular engines propensity to fail (and what will fail) off the top of her head than I can google in 24 hours.. If it comes down to 'stealership' parts counter, I can go through her instead and get SILLY cheap prices.. Her business is one that sells parts to warehouses, who in turn sell them to retailers... There is a stupid mark-up on parts that I can avoid, but I have two major problems with using her too often... The first one is, she may get to thinking I'm taking advantage of her, the second being she may get to thinking I like her too much.. She's cool, don't get me wrong- and if I ever run out of Skoal, I can just bum a dip off of her :-) but, for items like this grommet and elbow, I won't bother her..

that leads me to the ol' neighborhood Advanced... Which is where I went this afternoon.. And asked for the part referenced here earlier.. They were out of stock.. But, what they did have dangling from the peg board was enough for me to permanently repair this little issue... Now, I guess I am just a hack like the previous owner who got me in this predicament in the first place.. errrrrrrr...

I bought a part similar to the one in your pic.. but this one has a barbed fitting to go to the CAI (not that it is needed, but hey, it's there anyway).. Curiously, there were two grommets with the thing.. Instead of cramming a 1" fitting into a 3/4" hose (it'll happen, just apply lube.. lots of lube..or ask the parts girl I know if it's possible from her own personal experience, and she will agree- she'll slap the sparkle from your eye, but she will agree... don't ask me how I know that for certain.. ) :-) it had the grommet I'm thinking was intended for this valve cover..

to conclude my long story- it works.. I'm at least partially happy.. I'm thinking though, that happy won't last too long.. this weekend I do the plenum kit, the h&s rockers, stat, full tune, flush... and either tomorrow or Monday I drop her off for a new tranny and 4.56's... My tuner should be here next week..

It's going to be interesting, and I'm looking forward to NEXT weekend, not necessarily this one.. matter of fact, it's likely a good thing none of you guys know my phone number or where I live, because I'm sure by Saturday afternoon I'll be willing to sell the whole rig for like $5..

gotta love it...

edit: oh, and hedders.. I'm bolting those rascals up myself too this weekend..

Last edited by drewactual; 09-16-2010 at 12:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Plenum and PCV's- too funny...