2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dashboard cracks revisted

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:31 PM
memine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dashboard cracks revisted

so this might hit on several topics and in the end I am really looking for an online source that has the parts - part numbers and part diagrams - searchable.

so like others - it started with the sloshing sound
then water dripping in passenger floor mat
learned that the dodge dash sags and the outlet no longer can get out firewall side so the path of least resistant is inside.
I suspect that heater core has been sitting in water for about 3 years and finally just could not take it any longer - so I had the core bypassed - but winter is upon me or just around the corner - and when I go to replace this core - MY CRACKED DASH IS GOING TO FALL APART.

I have seen caps that I could glue or silcone on but this is a big band aid -
so I want to get a dodge or aftermarket dash top ( but I don't know the piece name) and have never removed this much of the inside before.

so, is there an online source with diagrams?
and, any recommendations for aftermarket parts house that y'all have had success?

thanks

Old 09-14-2010, 10:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Try LMC truck. They should have a good picture.....

They only seem to have covers. Too bad.... Your only choice may be the junkyard, or the dealer. The dealer is going to be rather expensive.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 AM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

heres the entire dash replacement, not a cover. though its not cheap, about $330USD

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DRD8-1

Alldata calls for 5.2Hrs of labor on this, thats not including evac. of freon.

heres step by step how to remove and replace from alldata. Enjoy!

heater core replacement

INSTRUMENT PANEL ASSEMBLY

REMOVAL

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIR-BAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, SEAT BELT TENSIONER, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1. Remove the left a-pillar trim.
  2. Remove the top cover.
  3. Disconnect the headliner harness electrical connector at the a-pillar.

Fig. 20

1. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, from the notch on the bottom, remove the left side cover. (Fig. 20)
  2. Remove the steering column.

Fig. 7

1. Remove the two bolts at the column support bracket. (Fig. 7)
  2. Remove the left cowl trim panel
  3. Remove the instrument panel drivers side bezel.

Fig. 8

1. Remove the left side mounting bolts. (Fig. 8)

Fig. 9

1. Disconnect the wire harness electrical connectors above the brake pedal. (Fig. 9)
  2. Loosen the screws and remove the hood release handle from the bracket.
  3. Disconnect the park brake release handle actuator rod.
  4. Remove the air bag control module trim cover, if equipped. (Fig. 20)
  5. Remove the floor console, if equipped.

Fig. 10

1. Remove the center bracket bolts. (Fig. 10)
  2. Disconnect the air bag control module electrical connector.
  3. Remove the right cowl trim cover.

Fig. 11

1. Disconnect the two electrical connectors. (Fig. 11)

Fig. 12

1. Disconnect the radio antenna. (Fig. 12)

Fig. 13

1. Remove the one HVAC screw. (Fig. 13)

Fig. 14

1. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, from the notch on the bottom, remove the right end cap. (Fig. 14)
  2. Remove the right a-pillar trim.
  3. Remove the two right side mounting bolts on the a-pillar and one right mounting bolt on the cowl side panel. (Fig. 14)

Fig. 15

1. Remove the four top instrument panel screws. (Fig. 15)
  2. Remove the two top instrument panel bolts and remove the instrument panel.
INSTALLATION

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIR-BAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, SEAT BELT TENSIONER, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

1. Position the instrument panel assembly in vehicle.

Fig. 16

1. Route the park brake release rod through the instrument panel. (Fig. 16)
  2. Install the instrument panel onto the left side guide pin and the right side guide hook.
  3. Install the left side mounting bolts and tighten to 12 N.m (9 ft.lbs) .
  4. Install the instrument panel drivers side bezel.
  5. Install the left cowl trim panel
  6. Connect the headliner harness electrical connector at the a-pillar.
  7. Install the left a-pillar trim.
  8. Position the left end cap and seat the attachment clips fully.
  9. Install the right side mounting bolts on the a-pillar and one right mounting bolt on the cowl side panel and tighten to 12 N.m (9 ft.lbs) .
  10. Install the right a-pillar trim panel.
  11. Position the right end cap and seat the attachment clips fully.
  12. Install the one HVAC mounting screw.
  13. Connect the radio antenna.
  14. Connect the two electrical connectors at the right cowl panel.
  15. Install the right cowl trim cover.
  16. Connect the air bag control module electrical connector.
  17. Install the center bracket bolts and tighten to 12 N.m (9 ft.lbs) .
  18. Install the floor console, if equipped.
  19. Install the air bag control module cover, if equipped.
  20. Connect the park brake release handle actuator rod.
  21. Install the hood release handle and tighten the screws.
  22. Install the two bolts at the column support bracket and tighten to 14 N.m (10 ft.lbs) .
  23. Install the steering column.
  24. Connect the wire harness electrical connectors above the brake pedal.
  25. Install the two top instrument panel bolts and tighten to 12 N.m (9 ft.lbs) .
  26. Install the four top instrument panel screws.
  27. Install the instrument panel top cover.

REMOVAL

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN AN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY. IF THE VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AIR CONDITIONING, REVIEW THE WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS IN PLUMBING BEFORE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING OPERATION.

The HVAC housing assembly must be removed from the vehicle and disassembled for service access of the heater core, a/c evaporator, and each of the various mode control doors.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the dash board from the vehicle. Refer to: Body and Frame, Interior Trim, Dashboard/Instrument Panel, Service and Repair, Instrument Panel Service Procedures, Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement

3. If the vehicle is not equipped with air conditioning, go to Step 6. If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, recover the refrigerant from the system
  4. Disconnect the liquid line refrigerant line fitting from the evaporator inlet tube. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings.
  5. Remove the accumulator. Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant line fittings.
  6. Drain the engine cooling system.
  7. Disconnect the heater hose from the heater tubes. Install plugs in, or tape over the opened heater core tubes.
  8. Remove the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) from the dash panel and set it aside, but do not unplug the PCM wire harness connectors
  9. Remove the nuts from the HVAC housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel.

Fig.8 HVAC Housing Remove/Install

1. Remove the nuts that secure the HVAC housing to the mounting studs on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel.
  2. Pull the HVAC housing rearward far enough for the mounting studs and the evaporator condensate drain tube to clear the dash panel holes.
  3. Remove the HVAC housing from the vehicle. HVAC Housing Inlet Baffle
  1. Remove the HVAC housing from the vehicle.

Fig.9 HVAC Housing Inlet Baffle Remove/Install

1. Slide the HVAC housing inlet baffle all the way to one side of the cowl plenum opening.
  2. Pull downwards sharply and firmly on the opposite side of the HVAC housing inlet baffle to disengage the snap features from the cowl plenum opening.
  3. Remove the HVAC housing inlet baffle from the cowl plenum panel.
INSTALLATION

1. Position the HVAC housing to the dash panel. Be certain that the evaporator condensate drain tube and the housing mounting studs are inserted into their correct mounting holes.
  2. Install the nuts that secure the HVAC housing to the mounting studs on the passenger compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 4.5 Nm (40 in. lbs.) .
  3. Install and tighten the nuts onto the HVAC housing mounting studs on the engine compartment side of the dash panel. Tighten the nuts to 7 Nm (60 in. lbs.) .
  4. Unplug or remove the tape from the heater core tubes. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core tubes and fill the engine cooling system. Refer Cooling for the procedures.
  5. If the vehicle is not equipped with air conditioning, go to Step 10. If the vehicle is equipped with air conditioning, install the accumulator. Connect the accumulator inlet tube coupler to the evaporator outlet tube.
  6. Unplug or remove the tape from the liquid line and the evaporator inlet tube fittings. Connect the liquid line coupler to the evaporator inlet tube.
  7. Evacuate the refrigerant system.
  8. Charge the refrigerant system
  9. Reinstall the PCM to the dash panel
  10. Reinstall the dash board in the vehicle.
  11. Connect the battery negative cable.
  12. Start the engine and check for proper operation of the heating and air conditioning systems. HVAC Housing Inlet Baffle
  1. Install the HVAC housing inlet baffle in the cowl plenum panel.
  2. Slide the HVAC housing inlet baffle to engage the snap features.
  3. Make certain that the snap features on each side of the adapter are fully engaged with the sides of the plenum panel opening. This must be a water tight connection to prevent leaks.
  4. Install the HVAC housing in the vehicle.

Last edited by 004x41500; 09-15-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:18 AM
ColoradoRamLover
Veteran

Originally Posted by 004x41500
heres the entire dash replacement, not a cover. though its not cheap, about $330USD

http://www.genosgarage.com/prodinfo.asp?number=DRD8-1

DONT! forget ebay. Ive seen certain dash parts for dodges on there since I need to replace my top part of my dash.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:22 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^Thats the disassembly for a 2002 later Ram, not 01 older.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:45 AM
bigslick050
All Star

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
^^Thats the disassembly for a 2002 later Ram, not 01 older.
Yeah it is a great diagram and info...but would be better suited in the 3rd gen side! that is 02-05 dash 1500 truck or 03-05 dash 2500-3500 truck...

Old 09-15-2010, 12:54 AM
004x41500
Record Breaker

hmm. i thought it looked a lil funny. thats whats listed for my 00 on alldata.

but its still the same on how they come out, i had to do a 2nd gen before, but its almost exactly identical with the exception of appearance.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 AM
memine

thanks for the product link - has anyone bought from here before? feedback?

one question - link mentioned removing freon - I was under the understanding that the heater core only contained Antifreeze?

so I should be able to open dash and swing to one side and gain access to remove core - right?

thanks again folks

Old 09-15-2010, 03:30 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by memine
thanks for the product link - has anyone bought from here before? feedback?

one question - link mentioned removing freon - I was under the understanding that the heater core only contained Antifreeze?

so I should be able to open dash and swing to one side and gain access to remove core - right?

thanks again folks

yes the heater core only has coolant however to replace the core its easier to take the entire hvac housing out(if its not the only way to replace it) and you have to disconnect a/c lines to allow the evaporator lines to pull through the firewall to get it out...

while youre in there i would recomend replacing the evaporator as well, save you time and money down the road.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:31 PM
idriv442

While in the older post, I found this link for a new dash of better quality. I plan to buy this in the near future, but have not yet. Here is the link: http://www.autobodyfillersusa.com/servlet/Detail?no=115

Quick Reply: dashboard cracks revisted