2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is the best and cheapest data logger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010 | 05:52 PM
chrscott
|
Rookie
Default What is the best and cheapest data logger?

I am interested in data logging my truck to help diagnose an intermittent miss at idle (with no CEL). I would like to avoid replacing sensors without good reason to back it up.

I found this one data logger called laplogger (www.laplogger.com), but they only log the basic PIDs (non-Dodge specific), so they won't log the cam position sensor, or the crank position sensor.

I would like to log all of the Dodge PIDs as well as the basic ones.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good data logger? I would like something that is laptop based, and realtively cheap (under $200).

I have read some posts about a product by Innovate, but this seems to be more for tuning. Any one have experience with this product?

Also, relating to my miss at idle, the plenum is done and holding, and I will be replacing the O2 sensor this weeknd (170,000 km on the truck), and it has new plugs, wires, and coil.

Truck is a 2001 Ram 2500, 4x4, 5.9 gas, Auto.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by chrscott; 09-16-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-16-2010 | 05:58 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Replace the o2 sensor, get some Techron + to put in the fuel tank and follow this TSB http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-48-98/18-48-98-v8.htm before you spend money on anything else.

Old 09-16-2010 | 06:23 PM
chrscott
|
Rookie

thanks zman,

I have followed that TSB for crossfire. Also, I have had a few cans of Sea Foam through my tank, and into my brake booster line. Is the techron additive better?

Also, cleaned out throttle body and IAC really well (helped), did timing chain (helped), replaced lifter that was not pumping oil and did plenum (helped alot).

I still can't seem to figure out the miss at idle. It is driving me nuts, been going on for a year now since I got the truck.

O2 sensor will be my last "guess" at what it could be. I don't want to spend $400 on all new sensors.

Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-16-2010 | 06:29 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I like the Techron over the seafoam as far as adding anything to the to the gas goes.JMHO But, you should replace the precat 02 sensor regardless and go from there.

Old 09-16-2010 | 09:09 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

If you can get your truck to run smooth at idle, Dodge has a job for you.

My engine has a slight hiccup in it at idle that I have not been able to rid of since I've owned it. I have replaced every sensor in that truck at least once, and it doesn't go away. The smoothest it's ever run is right after a timing chain replacement. After the chain stretches a bit, it goes right back to the shimmy.

Old 09-16-2010 | 10:52 PM
sk8erdude
Veteran

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
If you can get your truck to run smooth at idle, Dodge has a job for you.
HAHAHAHAHA!! i laughed pretty hard at that one

Old 09-20-2010 | 09:52 PM
chrscott
|
Rookie

Replaced the O2 sensor, still have intermittent miss.

No one does data logging?

Any way to verify signals from temp sensors, and manifold pressure sensor?

Does anyone have voltage values that correspond to temperatures or pressures (i.e. at 20ºC you should read 1.5V at the sensor)?

Any way to test cam and crank position sensor?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-20-2010 | 10:00 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

If you want to log data for tunes the innovate is the way to go. If you just want to read data real time, buy a Snap On MT 2500 off eBay with the correct cartridges. It'll give you every engine parameter the PCM can read in both voltages and whatever unit it's measuring. Plus its got a few diagnostic utilities in there.

Old 09-20-2010 | 10:10 PM
chrscott
|
Rookie

Thanks Aim, thats the type of info I am looking for.

Can anyone else add to this?

Any info about data logging at all would be appreciated, I don't have much experience interpreting logged data.

Last edited by chrscott; 09-20-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Quick Reply: What is the best and cheapest data logger?