2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0455 P0442 evap evaporative emissions leak fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:10 PM
dodgephan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7 and I have these two codes present. I found that my gas cap was loose( thanks gas guy) so I tightened it. I also got under the truck and looked at the evap system and did fined a descent rip in on of the hoses so I replaced that. My problem right now is the codes don't reset so I'm assuming theres a hard fault some where but where do I start.? Thanks

Old 11-13-2012, 08:57 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

reset pcm by disconnecting negative battery cable, then turn on headlights for 30 seconds. this drains the capacitors in the pcm and erases all the codes. drive the truck for 2-3 days to see if the CEL comes back on. mine used to take 3 days.

welcome to DF.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:34 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by zman17
And btw, if anyone needs or wants the correct "u" shaped hose, PM me.

if i PM you, can you PM me a hose? LOL
bump..

Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 PM
wv ram
Amateur

i had same issuse on my 01 1500 4x4 drove nuts , finally took the canister down to paint the bracket it was rusted lines look ok no visible cracks i carefully wrapped each line with eletrical tape and put on new clamps , it work i tryed all the above gremlins that every body says and it was always coming back on 3 months later no issuse ... you may try that in did work for me best of luck!!

Old 01-19-2013, 11:59 AM
blue 1500

Thank you, the information you provided was complete, and now I realize that I will be money ahead taking my '06 into my trusted mechanic, instead of monkeying with it myself- without the professional equipment, I had no idea how intricate the evap system was, ignorance is bliss...

Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 PM
PhilYarborough
Default Error code P0442/P0446

This forum was very helpful. My 2003 Ram 1500 had a check engine light on for monts. Even after the engine was replaced, the light stayed on. I took it to Aamco or a free test and they could never figure out what the problem was, just that the code meant an evaporative emissions leak (never trust them to diagnos the light again). Then came time for the state emissions test and the truck fails. So I buy a code reader (got one cheap from Harbor Freight) and checked the code myself. First code I read is P0446 (small leak). So I pull the evaporator and find no damage. I inspect the hoses and find nothing wrong. So I start with the cheapest part first, the pump. Got one for about $25 from Rock Auto. Replace the part, reinstall the assembly and the code changes to P0442. So I go to the dealer and order a new gas cap. Install the new cap and as an extra, I figure that I'll put hose clamps on all the hose endings even though they are flared fittings, just to be sure. Then I discover the problem I missed. There is a short, pre-curved, rubber hose between what looks like a large fuel filter on the side of the evaporator assembly, connecting to a hard line to the fuel tank. There was a split in this rubber hose in the bend where I couldn't see it. I felt it when I was installing the hose clamps. Bought a lenght of 5/8" hose, installed it, cleared the code. Now I'll have to drive for a while to see if this is the fix needed. But I think that this should do it.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilYarborough
This forum was very helpful. My 2003 Ram 1500 had a check engine light on for monts. Even after the engine was replaced, the light stayed on. I took it to Aamco or a free test and they could never figure out what the problem was, just that the code meant an evaporative emissions leak (never trust them to diagnos the light again). Then came time for the state emissions test and the truck fails. So I buy a code reader (got one cheap from Harbor Freight) and checked the code myself. First code I read is P0446 (small leak). So I pull the evaporator and find no damage. I inspect the hoses and find nothing wrong. So I start with the cheapest part first, the pump. Got one for about $25 from Rock Auto. Replace the part, reinstall the assembly and the code changes to P0442. So I go to the dealer and order a new gas cap. Install the new cap and as an extra, I figure that I'll put hose clamps on all the hose endings even though they are flared fittings, just to be sure. Then I discover the problem I missed. There is a short, pre-curved, rubber hose between what looks like a large fuel filter on the side of the evaporator assembly, connecting to a hard line to the fuel tank. There was a split in this rubber hose in the bend where I couldn't see it. I felt it when I was installing the hose clamps. Bought a lenght of 5/8" hose, installed it, cleared the code. Now I'll have to drive for a while to see if this is the fix needed. But I think that this should do it.
Thanks for the info. You might want to post it in the 3rd gen ram section too(as your's is a 2003.

Old 12-10-2013, 02:53 PM
FarringtonAdam

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
reset pcm by disconnecting negative battery cable, then turn on headlights for 30 seconds. this drains the capacitors in the pcm and erases all the codes. drive the truck for 2-3 days to see if the CEL comes back on. mine used to take 3 days.

welcome to DF.
I just finished replacing the cracked hose above the evap system.. How do i go about clearing the codes the proper way. I thought i saw you say something about it but am not sure if just disconnecting the negative battery would do or is there more to it?? Thanks

Old 12-10-2013, 08:50 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

disconnect negative battery cable.
turn on headlight switch for 30 seconds.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:01 PM
FarringtonAdam

Thanks, hope the code stays off

Quick Reply: P0455 P0442 evap evaporative emissions leak fix