2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

please help asap, no blinker/brake lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 03:07 PM
autolockguy13
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help asap, no blinker/brake lights

i dont know what happened, i went to my mothers to help with some landscaping and when i left i had no blinkers. when i got home i checked all fuses and relays but everything looks good. would my multi function switch affect my brake lights too? it doesnt matter whether im the blinkers are on or off, the brake lights dont work. please help, i need to be able to drive my daughter to and from work 35 mile round trip in small towns where they dont have anything better to do than pull over vehicles for minor things and im giving them a big thing to pull me for! any help is appreciated!

Old 09-20-2010, 03:27 PM
97r/tram
Veteran

Check the fuse under in the fuse panel in the dash first.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:29 PM
autolockguy13
Professional

i checked the fuses both under hood and in the dash, unless theres a hidden one?

Old 09-20-2010, 04:41 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the ground wires. They are in the back underneath by the harness going to the lights, and there is one under the cab on driver side IIRC that goes from the bed to frame. And if you have a plug for trailer lights, check those wires as well

Old 09-20-2010, 06:16 PM
autolockguy13
Professional

this truck is a nightmare, and a mess. i have found a couple less than good wires and i am replacing them as we speak, but i just have this feeling it isnt going to help. i havent found any ground wires attached to the frame anywhere by the taillights or anywhere up to the gas tank, but thats as far forward as ive gotten. where should these ground wires be attached by? thanks

Old 09-21-2010, 12:47 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by autolockguy13
this truck is a nightmare, and a mess. i have found a couple less than good wires and i am replacing them as we speak, but i just have this feeling it isnt going to help. i havent found any ground wires attached to the frame anywhere by the taillights or anywhere up to the gas tank, but thats as far forward as ive gotten. where should these ground wires be attached by? thanks
I am living with a good friend of mine who just had this happen to him recently thus, the reason I'm relaying this information on to you. He was pulling all the wiring out, checking the connections, etc etc, when, the root cause for the failure was a faulty flasher unit.

Dodge runs the power for those through this flasher unit and, when it starts to go, you'll first lose directionals followed by erratic outages at random as time goes on.

That's where I would start first.

CM

Old 09-21-2010, 02:23 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Blinker fluid?

Old 09-21-2010, 04:23 PM
autolockguy13
Professional

ok, problem fixed! after looking at the plugs and following wires, i found that the green/pink and the brown/pink wires which run the blinker/brake lights on either side were so brittle i could pull on them and they snapped. so i pulled them out of the loom untill i could cut and see fresh wire that wasnt black, spliced in new wires and re-ran them. that fixed it for me. i had to pull the individual connectors out of the plugs and cut the wire off, then solder the new wires on and all back together, but with 3 hrs time and a soldering gun i got'er done! thanks for everyones help and i hope this might help someone else in the future!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad you got it fixed. And thanks for posting the fix.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:02 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
They are in the back underneath by the harness going to the lights, and there is one under the cab on driver side IIRC that goes from the bed to frame.
On my truck that ground wire is on the passenger side. Just in case someone comes along in the future and starts wondering why he can't find it on the driver's side.

Quick Reply: please help asap, no blinker/brake lights