2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cigarette Lighter/Power Outlet not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 08:21 PM
ToXiN06
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cigarette Lighter/Power Outlet not working

Hey all, recently my Cigarette Lighter and Power Outlet stopped working. I checked the fuses for both and they're both good, I pulled out the meter and I'm only getting ~9.5 on my Power Outlet and I can't get any on the Cigarette Lighter using the Lighter ground or any other ground. (I'm aware the vehicle has to be in the "On" position or running for the Cigarette Lighter, neither works. I'm assuming it might be the ground but I don't understand why the Power Outlet still is getting a decent amount of power if it's JUST the ground --- However I'm neither a mechanic nor electrician. Any help would be appreciated along with if anyone knows the location of the ground (is it directly above the cup holder and it needs to be removed to check it?)

Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

did you check the fuses in the end of the dash and the PDC box beside the battery. there are separate fuses for the Cig and the Aux. I don't remember which location each fuse is at.

how does that 9.5 voltage compare to battery voltage ?
does your voltage go up any if you crank the truck ?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:16 PM
ToXiN06

It's the same whether or not it's running or off. I checked it again and I was getting readings of 10.5 and 11.6 on and off at different times. I checked the voltage on a splitter I had (was easiest to check the voltage on) in the truck I was getting 1.4 from it and the light wouldn't come on, in a vehicle I know the plug works it was getting 8.8. Could the plug just be bad?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:25 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the contacts in the CIG receptacle could be covered in coffee or coke or rusted or something. if you can probe the feed wire to check voltage it would tell you which direction to trouble shoot.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 PM
ToXiN06

I'll have to try to check that out tomorrow. How I'm going to get to all that, I have no idea. The Dash in this truck is totally wrecked so there's no way to take off the instrument bezel or anything without destroying it lol.

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter/Power Outlet not working