2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

O2 nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 07:53 AM
gwaggs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 nightmare

Here is the deal. I have a 5.9 with the infamous cold start shutter and hesitation. Also sounds like a f-14 most times. I bought a brand new post cat 02 about a month ago. Can I just move it to the pre cat position and all will be well. By the way there is no cat on this truck so Im not sure putting the bad sensor to monitor it will make a difference besides the light. I allready did plugs, wires, cap, rotor, IAC, TPS, injecters, and cleaned throttle body also had fuel pump checked and its good. Are those 02s interchangable.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:12 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if both sensors are 4 wire, then i think they are the same. 2 white wires for heater, a ground, and a signal. the connectors might be different, but i think the heated sensor part is the same.

in chasing your problem, the things to remember is that the front O2 sensor is only used after warm up, when the pcm decides to operate in closed loop, and monitor the O2 sensor. the front sensor is used to adjust fuel mix. the rear O2 is only used to monitor the cat, and it expects to see reduced emissions after the cat.

you can confirm the O2 sensors by going to an application guide for universal sensors (where you splice it into your existing wiring) and see the same universal listed for front and rear.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 09-25-2010 at 08:16 AM.

Quick Reply: O2 nightmare