2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:00 PM
JAPR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Question

After changing the front ball joints and replacing the steering shaft my 2000 Ram 1500 4X4 still has quite a bit of steering wander. When I was replacing the steering shaft, I noticed the steering gear shaft could be easily rotated about 1/8 inch in either direction.

Does the steering box need replacing?

Thanks-

Old 09-25-2010, 03:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,214 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Replace or adjust. Your choice.

There is a simple DIY in the faq section for doing one of the adjustments, which does help, and in some cases, is all that's required. In the 01 Factory Service Manual, also available in the faq section, is the full procedure, detailing how to do both adjustments, and make your steering box feel MUCH better.

Also, check the bushing at the base of the steering column. Right where the jointed shaft joins the column. Give it a shake, see how much slop there is.

Also check the rest of your steering components, including the track bar. All can contribute to 'vague' steering.

Quick Reply: Steering Question