2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

map sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010 | 03:33 PM
imjammin
|

This situation has eaten at my nerves so bad that all there is left to do is to throw in the towel. I've exhausted every source that I can think of, all of these responses are greatly appreciated. All I can say is this is one smart truck it knows how to hide it's problem from 3 different computers.
Thanks for all the knowledge guys

Old 09-28-2010 | 09:08 AM
donizer
Rookie

this may seem like a stupid question, but did you leave the throttle body on the manifold when you cleaned it? and what did you use to clean it?

What im getting at is i used to leave the carb on my old 125 when i would clean it, and a little bit of carb+choke cleaner would still be in it when i started it up after and it would actually idle (something doesnt seem right to me when my 2 smokers idle :P)

Old 09-28-2010 | 04:58 PM
imjammin
|

It was taken off, and used carb and choke cleaner on it.

Old 09-28-2010 | 05:21 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

do you suspect it might be electrical or fuel related ?

excluding things you already replaced, just thinking out loud of things that can fail intermittently, it would include coil, cam position sensor (=secondary ignition coil), crank position sensor, the pcm itself, O2 sensor (maybe), throttle position sensor (maybe). map (doubtful). a real stretch and very unlikely - coolant temp sensor and intake air temp (IAT) sensor.

fuel related would be fuel pump/filter, an injector, stopped up fuel rail.

a real find would be for you to pull all these sensors at a junkyard for little to nothing and swap them in one at a time. most of them are common to all 5.2/5.9, so about anything with dodge on the front could donate a set. assume that your originals are good and keep them until you prove that its bad. don't throw them away, as it several hundred $bucks in sensors.

since its intermittent, its unlikely that its a mechanical problem.

I am assuming you already replaced these -
plugs, cap, rotor, wires.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 09-28-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2010 | 07:46 PM
imjammin
|

At the begining I thought that it was electrical but now I don't really have a clue. This problem started out as a hiccup it was as if you turn the key on and off several times. Now it has grown into as if it is crossfiring, just like you have swapped some plug wires and it looses all power but will not die. I have swapped about 90% of what you have mentioned. When at a shop and does it all you see is confusion on there face, but no solution.

Old 09-28-2010 | 08:11 PM
imjammin
|

I do know that it is something that will not turn on the CEL.

Old 09-29-2010 | 07:22 AM
atlrus
Rookie

Bad O2 sensor will likely not throw a CEL. Unplug the O2 sensor and see if there is any difference.

Old 09-29-2010 | 08:29 AM
imjammin
|

Did that, made no difference and with it unplugged it turned on the CEL.

Old 09-29-2010 | 10:16 AM
gary30mazak
Rookie

My truck does the same thing. on certain days it will really hesitate and almost stall but it seems to get better after it warms up. i'v changed the cat, and map sensor and it did not help at all. It seems do do it more often after it rains or is really damp. I even had it to the stealership annd they couldn't figure it out either. It' doesn't throw any CEL but I'm baffled as well. It will get a surge in RPM's while in cruise control only 2to 300 wile im going down the highway for just a second and then return to normal. The stealership said there is nothing wrong with it of course. Could this be the sending unit from the rear axle? I cant remember the name of the computer unit on the axle or I would be more specefic about it. Mine is a 1998 dodge ram2500 with the 360 and i'm sure it needs a plenum fix although I havent't checked yet. It has almost 90000 miles on it. ortherwise it runs great but the AC quit working on it this summer. I think I must have overcharged it. any ideas?

Old 09-29-2010 | 10:20 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion

mine does it too

Quick Reply: map sensor