2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wheel Weight, and tire rotation question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 04:53 PM
spankythedog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Weight, and tire rotation question.

My sister recently hit a curb in her lil saturn. She managed to shred her front right tire and dent her back right rim. I went to a junk yard and bought her a replacement identical rim. We replaced both tires on the right side, and rotated the new tires to the back. Now there seems to be a bump, roughly every rotation of the tires. I told her that she needs to get the front ones replaced within the next month. I think the bump is probably from rotating the old tire on the back to the front since I doubt if she has ever rotated them. My only concern is about wheel weights. The wheel I salvaged from a pull apart had a wheel weight on it of 6.2g, and the stock had a 5g weight. I was noticing another wheel had a smaller weight than both the other wheels, so I'm guessing that the wheel weights are specific to the rim, not the car. Is that a correct assumption? Or could I be risking damage to her car with my cheap fix?

Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take the car to the tire shop and get those tires/wheels balanced ASAP. The weights are specific to the tire and wheel as assembled.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:06 PM
spankythedog

okelly dokelly, thank you sir. And to make positively certain, The Tires were installed by professionals, but her vehicle wasn't present at the time. If they are balanced as a tire and wheel combo, then I would reckon it was done at the shop already before I drove em home and bolted them to the car.

Last edited by spankythedog; 09-27-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Originally Posted by spankythedog
okelly dokelly, thank you sir. And to make positively certain, The Tires were installed by professionals, but her vehicle wasn't present at the time. If they are balanced as a tire and wheel combo, then I would reckon it was done at the shop already before I drove em home and bolted them to the car.
One would think that would be a safe assumption.

Rotate the tires again, and see if the bump moves. If she hit hard enough to tweak a wheel enough to have to replace it, she may have damaged something else as well. Rotate the tires, if the bump doesn't change, need to start looking for another cause.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:35 PM
spankythedog

great plan

Quick Reply: Wheel Weight, and tire rotation question.