2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Got a second truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 06:36 PM
FarmBoy428
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice truck bud. Time to join the Green Truck Club

Old 09-30-2010, 08:31 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by zman17
There is also a spring that may fail. Not saying yours is bad. Just saying that SOME may have. If so, Dodge would have to replace them.
Yeah. A spring that is part of..?

Originally Posted by FarmBoy428
Nice truck bud. Time to join the Green Truck Club
Thanks. It'll be a decent truck just needs some work. Probably going to sell the blue one.

I went down and checked out the hood. It is definitely latching despite what the idiot at the bodyshop said. I looked at it with a mechanic and the service manager and got the go-ahead to contact Chrysler about getting it further looked into..Looking promising, I'll keep you guys updated and let you know what happens.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:56 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Ok. I got the bed painted up. I'll post pictures later tonight or tomorrow.

But just a quick question.

The obvious hiss I mentioned earlier still exists. I have done some reading and discovered that the A/C works fine, but after a brief time of being on high, it goes to defrost (meaning their is a lack of vacuum, and defrost is the default setting when vac. is low). Also the 4wd does not engage.

Now, my question is..if these are all vac. related (except the 4wd - could be other things as well), could they all be the same problem? I.E. Could the vac. line to the 4wd switch on the t-case be bad, and cause all 3 of these issues?

Are the vac. lines on the t-case, engine, and a/c at all related?

Thanks.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by rideordie
Ok. I got the bed painted up. I'll post pictures later tonight or tomorrow.

But just a quick question.

The obvious hiss I mentioned earlier still exists. I have done some reading and discovered that the A/C works fine, but after a brief time of being on high, it goes to defrost (meaning their is a lack of vacuum, and defrost is the default setting when vac. is low). Also the 4wd does not engage.

Now, my question is..if these are all vac. related (except the 4wd - could be other things as well), could they all be the same problem? I.E. Could the vac. line to the 4wd switch on the t-case be bad, and cause all 3 of these issues?

Are the vac. lines on the t-case, engine, and a/c at all related?

Thanks.
Yes. In fact, it is quite likely that they are all problems stemming from the same root cause. A vacuum leak. Check the passenger side of the engine, vacuum source for the vents, and the CAD, come from there.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:31 AM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yes. In fact, it is quite likely that they are all problems stemming from the same root cause. A vacuum leak. Check the passenger side of the engine, vacuum source for the vents, and the CAD, come from there.
Ok. Whats the easiest way to check for vacuum with the CAD?

I tried using a can of ether all over the place under the hood, couldnt find anything. I don't want to dry rot hoses using too much. Any better ways? Would it be overly expensive to have a smoke test done?

Old 10-12-2010, 02:16 AM
rideordie
Veteran

I found the vacuum leak, and fixed the leak, 4wd, and a/c all in one. It was an elbow that had dryrotted and split in half (passenger side as was said above ^^).

Got it cleaned up a bit. Just waiting for the dealership to get the parts in so it can get the hood thrown on (which was covered 100% if anyone was wondering).

Tomorrow big blue gets sold as well.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 PM
rideordie
Veteran

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t...1113/99%20Ram/
You can check out some before/after pics of the bed, as well as some before I bought it. When I finish it up, I'll take a lot more and post them and you can tell me how I did.

Sold the 2001 today. She's gone for good. Wish the parts would arrive at the dealership already

Old 10-12-2010, 11:07 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

you should sell me those tail-light covers and put that money towards replacing all those vac lines

Old 10-13-2010, 04:01 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by 99dodge318
you should sell me those tail-light covers and put that money towards replacing all those vac lines
You mean the light guards? They're rougher than they look. Actually, the whole bed was much much worse than the pictures look. If it actually had looekd like it did in the pictures, I'd have saved my money and time and not painted it.

Anyways, they could definitely used cleaned up (surface rust, etc.), but if you're interested I could maybe get them to you somehow. I was just going to throw them with the rest of my scrap.

Edit: I just did my first coat of herculiner as well. Still need to finish up, but I'll post before/afters if anyone is interested.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:22 PM
FarmBoy428
Veteran

Not a bad lookin truck brother!
Now you can join the Green Truck Club if you haven't already
Is it me or does green/blue/red make are trucks look so good?

Quick Reply: Got a second truck