2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 dodge ram dies at light and hiccups at speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Mikester1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 dodge ram dies at light and hiccups at speed

I have a 1996 Dodge 1500 truck that runs fine at speed, sometimes "Hiccups" as described here in other posts and then at stops it will just die and then start right back up. No codes have been thrown. I do know that the crank position sensor is not oem as that the engine is a fresh rebuild and is was broke,I saw it when the engine was being put back in. Anyway, the engine had an issue with oil consumption when it was first put back in and they had to pull it. Intake plenum gasket was fine and it turned out to be the valve guides had been over driven and cracked. Replaced them and that fixed the oil issue. Now I am beginning to wonder if the cat may have become partially plugged up from all the oil going through it. I see the "Cat" mod on here also but I am at a loss as what to do. Should I try an oem crank trigger first? Is it possible the TPS is at fault? Or is the cat the problem? Or heck is it all three? New fuel pump, new injectors, secondary crossfire issue addressed. Heck the truck runs as good as new, except for the issue mentioned. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I even wonder if it is the ASD reley under the hood, loose connection? Thanks again. Mikey

Old 09-29-2010, 11:15 AM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

Your IAC may be gummed up i would give that a check, did you clean your throttle body when it was rebulit. To check if your CAT is plugged take your front o2 sensor out of the pipe and give it a quick run to see if you get better performance.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Mikester1
Rookie

Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979
Your IAC may be gummed up i would give that a check, did you clean your throttle body when it was rebulit. To check if your CAT is plugged take your front o2 sensor out of the pipe and give it a quick run to see if you get better performance.

Did clean the IAC and throttle body it actually has a new OEM IAC. Thanks for the help. Taking out the front 02 sensor won't it throw a code? Disconnect the battery for awhile to clear it?

Old 09-29-2010, 11:56 AM
ferguson30
Rookie

It will throw a code if you drive it too long. If it does, just unhook the battery to clear the code.

Quick Reply: 1996 dodge ram dies at light and hiccups at speed