2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Instrument cluster went out

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:51 PM
ironman888
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument cluster went out

My gas guage wasnt working for a while so i changed the fuel sending unit. Gas guage still didnt work. after a few more days my instrument cluster totally stopped working. The only things that works are the turn signal arrows and they stay on all the time. Checked all the fuses and couldnt find anything wrong. Anybody got any ideas

Old 09-29-2010, 02:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Check all grounds. I think there are several around/under the dash.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:24 PM
ironman888
Rookie

ok thanks

Old 09-29-2010, 06:39 PM
techmike
Rookie

Doesn't a '99 have an electric dash? Grounds would account for them failing but so would a circuit board failure.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you remove the trim bezel thing, you see the cluster attaching screws. if you remove these, you can pull straight out and unplug it about 1/2 way. if won't come all the way out unless you remove column covers and PRNDL indicator cable. pull/push it in/out of its plug in socket a few times just to scrape the pins clean. it might help, but probably not.

if this doesn't help and the checking/cleaning grounds doesn't help, and if you suspect the cluster has just gone bad, you can shop for a new cluster from junkyard or ebay junkyard. be SURE and match year range, tach/no tach, Mile/KM ring on speedo, Auto/Manual, and i think gas vs diesel (maybe). also note that the display mileage is stored in the cluster, so if you get one with a million miles, that's what its going to display.

i replaced mine due to a problem with the speedo. i got it on ebay for about $30 or so.

Quick Reply: Instrument cluster went out