2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering Stabilizer

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:15 PM
joshsbetterhalf
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Stabilizer

Okay so, with all this flooding today, I started hearing a funny metal scraping sound... turned out to be my steering stabilizer had come off on one end. Fiance unbolted it and said "if the steering is set up from the factory correctly, you wouldn't need a steering stabilizer". However, he decided later on that I do. Any suggestion of where to get one from or what kind? I will be lifting the truck and putting 35s on early next year if it makes any difference, I'd kinda like to just do it once and be done.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:49 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just go to advance or oreillys and get one. your local napa robbins or parts plus may have it in stock as well. theyre about 50-60 bucks, maybe less. depending on brand.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:55 PM
joshsbetterhalf
Professional

So just a stock replacement will be fine, even with lift and bigger (35x12.50 super swamper m16s) tires?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:58 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it will be fine. all the steering stabilizer is, is a sideways mounted shock. when you lift it you can opt for dual steering stabilizers. a kit for it can be bought on www.topguncustomz.com

Old 10-01-2010, 12:16 AM
monsterram95
Amateur

i highly recommend dual steering stabilizers when you lift the truck, and as stated previously, it's a sideways-mounted shock...skyjacker also has a kit for the dual setup with their Hydro 7000s or Nitro 8000s

Old 10-01-2010, 01:00 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a stock one I can send you for shipping only. I just put a rancho stabilizer on my truck and the stock one is operational (50K on the truck).

I replaced it because I got rancho shocks (RS5000) and Rancho had a 50 dollar rebate with the purchase of 4 shocks. So it was like getting the rancho stabilizer for free with the purchase of 4 shocks.

If you need a quick fix, i can help for the cost of shipping. It will probably be about 10 dollars for shipping. But check autozone or napa. You can probably get a cheap new one for that much or a bit more. But if you are looking for stock, i can help.

Old 10-01-2010, 10:40 AM
joshsbetterhalf
Professional

Ill PM you when I go on break. I'm interested in the oneb you have

Old 10-01-2010, 10:41 PM
joshsbetterhalf
Professional

After driving the truck all over the area tonight, I've come to the conclusion with my fiancee that the truck drives just fine without a steering stabilizer and I won't be replacing it until it becomes a problem, probably when I put the super swampers on and the body lift. But until then, as the saying goes, if it isn't broke, doing fix it. That's what we're gonna go with

Old 10-01-2010, 11:40 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joshsbetterhalf
After driving the truck all over the area tonight, I've come to the conclusion with my fiancee that the truck drives just fine without a steering stabilizer and I won't be replacing it until it becomes a problem, probably when I put the super swampers on and the body lift.
I've run quite a few 4x4's without steering stabilizers and had no trouble at all. They were built for mountaineering rather than stream crossing, for going places where big lifts would cause the roof to cave in. So it's my entirely too arrogant opinion that you're on the right track until the lift goes in. Good call!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:52 PM
crawlin95
Professional

go with a bds dual stabilizer if your gonna put 35s on to avoid the death wobble. bds carries alifetime warranty on them.

Quick Reply: Steering Stabilizer