2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please say my Plenum gasket is not bad (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 08:49 PM
captainredneck1028
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamabrat
i will be the first to admit, this is not a fun repair. Yesterday, replaced plenum pan, gasket, thermostat n gasket, intake gasket, timing chain, gasket and the rubber piece at the bottom of the cover, bypass hose, upper and lower rad hoses, fan clutch, water pump / gasket, and of course oil/filter, and coolant. Used copper ultra permatex where needed. Followed instructions from forum, Hughes, All Data and Haynes manual cross checking. Still have to replace rear seal (figured that out when we finished) and trans fluid/filter/gasket change. Found a snapped vac line and spliced it.

Changes:
No oil sucked into intake.
Idles smooth instead if revving in neutral
Heat will cook you out of cab instead of just blowing moderately warm air
Temp gauge on dash works
Increased acceleration
No ticking sound (I now think my chain was slapping the cover...it was stretched so far I'm surprised it didn't come off)

Now my serp belt squeaks. Other than using ivory soap, is there anything I can do to shut it up? I didn't replace it bc its just over a yr old.

Still have smoke from pipe but it will take a while to blow all that crap out of my system. Glad I listened to forum and went ahead to do all at once. It took a while to gather parts and info, but completed it in approx 8 hours even with snags.

Thanks to everyone who helped me out.
Sounds like a good days work. During the water pump replacement I decided to pull out one of the round gaskets (rubber one the other was like a rubbery compressed felt?) Stuck it betweek the air filter housing and my truck runs a lot better but sounds like it is sucking in a vortex or something. And its running at a nice 195 constantly. Is there supposed to be a rubber ring between the TB and the air filter housing? As far as the sound goes I also have a k&n filter in factory filter housing. There in a nipple on the back of the housing is there a hose that goes from the drivers side valve cover to there like the one on the pass side (pcv valve) goes to the side of the intake plenum?

Old 11-17-2014, 06:16 AM
Bamabrat
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You managed that in 8? Wow. Pretty good. Took me 15. (but, I am just slow.)

Check your belt tensioner, make sure it moves freely, and is STIFF.

Probably need to do valve seals to completely get rid of the smoking. (provided the rings are still ok.)
We spent 2 hours disassembling Friday night, then 6 hours on Saturday to finish up. There were 3 of us, at my buddy's body shop using his tools so I didn't have to buy a fan clutch tool, harmonic balancer puller, etc. 2 working on the truck, 1 cleaning all reused parts with diesel. When we needed something from auto zone (I purchased everything except plenum kit and oil from there), they delivered it to the shop since my friend has a commercial acct with them.

Btw, I purchased a 5-gallon valvoline max life high mileage jug from wally world. Didn't check it until I was 1/2 way through my oil change. It was used oil. Now I have to take it back. Luckily my friend had 6 qts of 10w-30 on hand. Also, I filled my truck up w oil a week or so ago. When I did the oil change, only 2.5 qts came out!

I gave both my friends $$ for helping me. I did valve cover gaskets a few weeks back with del pros.

Last edited by Bamabrat; 11-17-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Ah, that certainly helps. I had a couple trips into town for parts, and some additional tooling to remove broken bolts. (that's always fun.)

Still burning oil at a rapid rate? Nothing showing on the ground under the truck? Time to do a compression test. (dry first, then wet) Post up the numbers. They should tell a tale.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Bamabrat
Professional

No, that was during the plenum plate/gasket change. As far as I know, I'm not burning oil at a rapid rate right now. I tried to check my oil on lunch, when my truck was warm (after riding to the house from work), and the oil measured half way up the dipstick. Is that due to the engine being warm?

Doesn't the 99 1500's have a self-adjusting tensioner for the serp belt? My belt is still squealing. How do I adjust a self-adjusting tensioner?

Old 11-18-2014, 02:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,271 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Your oil should NOT go above the "full" line with the engine warm, if nothing else, it should be a bit lower, as some of the oil is still up in the engine. If you are gaining oil, it's coming from somewhere, and it probably isn't oil....... (unless you didn't wipe it off, and stick it back in to check? The crank throws the oil around pretty well.....)

Tensioner is ostensibly 'self-adjusting'.... but, as the age, it gets sticky, and doesn't keep the tension on the belt it should. Lubing it up, and moving it around some may take care of it.....

Quick Reply: Please say my Plenum gasket is not bad (pic heavy)