2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission shifting issues....again

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 11:40 PM
cwdxd4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission shifting issues....again

I have a 98 1500 with the 318 and auto. For the past few weeks, the truck has trouble shifting from 2-3 only for the first couple of shifts and then everything works fine for the rest of the time while the truck is running. This happens whenever the truck has sat for more than 4 or 5 hours, otherwise the transmissions acts completely fine. If I completely let off the gas then it will shift but otherwise, when it finally shifts the engine revs up and then it catches and shifts into 3rd or it seems like it waits too long to shift. Again, this only happens for the first or second 2-3 shift and then from that point on the transmission works completely fine. Is there a servo or valve or something that might be sticking?? If the bands and clutches were worn out I would think that it would slip all the time?

Old 10-05-2010, 08:12 AM
2001ramsport
Veteran

mine does the same thing.the trans shop told me it needed to be rebuilt.the tech told me there is a seal that had shrunk and letting the fluid pass by.

Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 AM
bggibbs
Amateur

I have been dealing w/ some of the same issues.
I had my tranny built and the same thing started happing 15,000 miles later.
I am new on here but after looking I see we are not the only ones w/ this issue.

I have seen alot of help on here about fixing it thou,still lookin.

BGizzel

Old 10-05-2010, 12:32 PM
MrQ

I would take a look at the governor and the governor pressure sensor. Its about a $130 fix if you buy both sensors and change them and the fluid yourself.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 PM
cwdxd4

Another thing I might add is that about the same time I noticed a small spot underneath the transmission whenever I park it comming from the bellhousing. I know it's not engine oil but transmission fluid. The thing is kinda overfilled but I was just wondering if any of that is related?

Quick Reply: Transmission shifting issues....again