2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-06-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System
Print Wikipost

Cooling system flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 09:33 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cooling system flush

Ok I am putting a new block heater on my truck and want to flush the cooling system befor I put it on. Would you guys use any cleaners or just water?

Old 10-05-2010, 09:47 PM
FarmBoy428
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water

Old 10-05-2010, 10:01 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

50% white vinegar (5% acidity)/50% distilled water, followed by a second flush with straight distilled. I never use commercial flushing products -- the last classic I owned still had the 30 year old factory-installed radiator in place when I sold it. Maybe I did something right, maybe I've just been on a lucky streak. But it works fine for me.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:20 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
50% white vinegar (5% acidity)/50% distilled water, followed by a second flush with straight distilled. I never use commercial flushing products -- the last classic I owned still had the 30 year old factory-installed radiator in place when I sold it. Maybe I did something right, maybe I've just been on a lucky streak. But it works fine for me.
How long would you run the white vinegar / water mix?

Old 10-05-2010, 10:52 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

vinegar? never heard of that.

anyway - be sure and remove the block drain plugs. they hide on each side next to the engine mounts. little hex head plugs that are probably tighter than hell. also difficult to get a socket on. use a 6 point socket or good vice grips to prevent round off. when reinstalling use teflon tape or liquid or antiseize or something. also don't overtorque when installing, its just a plug.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:34 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedRam95
How long would you run the white vinegar / water mix?
To operating temp plus five minutes or so, just idling in place. Same for the second (DW) flush.

What I usually do is drain the flush before it's fully cold, not so soon that residual heat in the block or getting scalded might be a problem, then let the block cool (to prevent stress cracks) before starting the second flush. During the DW flush, I usually run it with the radiator cap off and watch for floaties in the radiator, and if I see too many I'll repeat the whole process. It's a good lazy Saturday afternoon kind of project.

If I strongly suspect that the system is gunked up, I'll let it get completely cool after draining the 50/50 flush, remove the thermostat and lower radiator hose, stuff a garden hose with a rag wrapped around it into the reattached water neck, and flush the bejeezus out of it with a few short (30 second or so) runs of the engine to get the water pump moving around a bit. Then the water hose goes into the radiator, but not cranked way the heck up, and that gets run until the water is clear for a good while. Then I'll follow that up with the straight DW flush after putting it all back together, then fill and burp the coolant.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:37 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Well I am going to replace the top and bottom rad hose and all the heater hose so I will use the water hose to clean the rad out.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:35 AM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Bump!

Old 10-08-2010, 09:26 PM
BigRedRam95
Record Breaker

Well I drained the cooling system today I got both drain plugs out. I was not to bad getting them out but I have been spraying blaster on them for the last month. I refilled with water and ran that for 10 or 20 min and drained that flushed the heater core out and flushed the rad and block good and left all the plugs open till tomorrow.
Also which heater hose is the heater core inlet the one on the pass side or the one coming from the driver side

Old 10-08-2010, 09:32 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedRam95
...which heater hose is the heater core inlet the one on the pass side or the one coming from the driver side
The one on the passenger side. The one with the coupling in it.

Quick Reply: Cooling system flush