2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Radiator Drain Plug....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 07:05 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Drain Plug....

Ok, had a major WTF around noon today and have to say it is the first time I have ever seen it happen... I was at a good steady speed going down the road and my temp gauge just starts to climb out of nowhere. I have never had any overheating issues in the past so I stop to find that the drain plug has disappeared from the bottom of my radiator and it has puked all of my antifreeze out into a nic big puddle... After a moment of head scratching and a few phone calls to the parts places, I receive several replies of "We don't offer that part for your vehicle" or "We dont list that" My problem is that the radiator does not have any other issues with it, and I have to get my truck back up to finish moving (great timing on that one!) as soon as possible. I had to get it towed home so I have it nearby to work on in my spare time already, only thing is that I can't find anybody that lists the part # or any type of replacement other than the entire radiator and my moving expenses are not allowing much free $$$ for that yet. Anybody ever had to go through this before??

Old 10-06-2010, 07:26 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it will probably be a dealer only item. it shouldn't cost much, maybe $5 at the most.

the good news is that you could probably get one from any 94-01'ish dodge from the junkyard for next to nothing. if you were a real butt, you could probably get one from any unattended dodge in a parking lot.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:29 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

here's your part number from dodge dealer. PART # 4644269
list price is $6.95

online.. with shipping - ouch.
http://www.amazon.com/CHRYSLER-DODGE.../dp/B0040HSYKC

Old 10-06-2010, 07:37 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

advance auto claims to have it. dorman part # 61134

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/1/1...art-61134.html

http://www.dormanproducts.com/search...chTerm=4644269

Last edited by dhvaughan; 10-06-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:37 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional

$10.33 for shipping!?!? Wonder how they justify that?? Anyway, thanks for the part number, I believe the radiator to have been replaced not too far back but that does look to be the correct plug. Guess I am going to try the stealership in the A.M. I appreciate the ideas guys, can't get enough of everybody on this forum!

Old 10-06-2010, 07:43 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional

dhvaughan, just noticed your other post about Advance... I called them and the guy swore up and down that he didn't have or list it... Wonder if he realizes that he costed me a tow bill from the middle of nowhere back to the house?? Gotta love it sometimes I suppose. I have an Advance near the house so I will have to try that I guess. Thanks again

Old 10-06-2010, 07:53 PM
notanexit7
Captain

I coulda sworn our radiators didn't come with drain plugs. Would have made things a lot easier for me when I replaced my radiator

Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

here's the Dorman link. it confirms it replaces OE and its only $5.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/search...chTerm=4644269

Old 10-06-2010, 08:04 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by kissmymagnum
dhvaughan, just noticed your other post about Advance... I called them and the guy swore up and down that he didn't have or list it... Wonder if he realizes that he costed me a tow bill from the middle of nowhere back to the house?? Gotta love it sometimes I suppose. I have an Advance near the house so I will have to try that I guess. Thanks again
their normal application guide is incomplete. they list it for caravan and cherokee and everything else, but leave off the ram. so - he'd have to have enough dodge experience to recognize it, and that's generally too much to expect.

its amazing what google turns up there. straight to the OE part number and then straight to a Dorman replacement in 2 easy jumps.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:20 PM
kissmymagnum
Professional

I should have known the way those listings are because I worked in one of them (which shall remain unnamed) for 5 years and had to look many parts up that way... I guess we all go a little stupid sometimes, especially when it is something of that nature. Definitely appreciate all of the effort as I am working to find a store that has it now.

Quick Reply: Radiator Drain Plug....