2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Dodge Ram 1500 - Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Beaters
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Dodge Ram 1500 - Questions?

Hey all,

I am looking at purchasing a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 2WD shortbox with the 3.9 engine/automatic tranny in it, and have a few questions. What are the positives and negatives about these trucks? ie., what are some areas to look out for? The truck has been well maintained and I only need to get a year or two out of it, but would like to be aware of any common problems.

What kind of fuel mileage would this truck get in stock form? And is there any affordable tuning/mods I can do to get a little more oomph out of it?

Thanks for any help!

Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High-flow air filter, full tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor), clean TB and stuff on it, other than that, I can't think of anything else that would apply to the 3.9.

The Magnum engines have plenum gasket issues, where they blow out the gasket and dump oil into your intake manifold, which fouls plugs and clogs cats.
The transmissions also like to go out every 65-100,000mi.....unless you put an aftermarket one in....dunno how well the V6 trans holds up.

Hope I helped and didn't scare you.

BTW, welcome to DF!

Old 10-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Beaters
Amateur

Thanks, that is helpful. I had heard about the plenum gasket issue, not sure if the one on this truck has ever been changed, but that is definately something I will look into. Are they expensive/hard to change, and how often do they need to be replaced?

This truck has around 105 000 miles on it and has never had the transmission swapped out, but the owner said it has been apart a couple times to be serviced and adjusted, when I drove the truck it shifted great, no noises or any noticeable problems, fluid looked good.

One more question, what is this truck worth roughly? Body and frame are in good shape (minor spots around fender wells), runs and drives excellent, has an aftermarket stereo, new dual exhaust, new front breaks, front end has been gone through, as mentioned the 3.9 with automatic tranny and around 105 000 miles on it.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2010, 12:53 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

The gaskets go around 50-100,000mi if you're lucky. Some go sooner, others wait till 100k.
The gasket isn't hard if you know what you're doing and have the right tools and time.
If you have someone else do it, they will be expensive, lot of labor involved.

I personally would give max of $2500, but thats because of the prices in my area.
You might check around to see what other trucks are going for.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:50 AM
J McWillis
Professional

I may be wrong on this, but I was under the impression that the v6's didn't have the same plenum issues as the v8's. Just something to add to your search!

Old 10-07-2010, 01:53 AM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

^Its a Magnum engine right?
I would think it would have a plenum issue.
I thought they all did.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:02 AM
J McWillis
Professional

Alright, did a little search. You're right. I thought the kegger on the v6 was designed differently and wasn't affected. I'll go put on my dunce cap now..

Old 10-07-2010, 02:23 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With a V-6? It's an underpowered turd on wheels. Other than that, it's an okay truck if you can get it for cheap as long as you don't really want a V-8.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:03 PM
Beaters
Amateur

I would have liked a longbox with V8, but in reality the truck will not be used for any towing or work, all I really need is a cheap truck (both to buy and insure) to last me a year or two until I graduate University. I'm no stranger to trucks and auto repairs, so I don't mind doing my own minor repairs and routine maintenance. I forgot to mention, 13 000 miles ago the engine was freshened up, cylinders were re-sleeved, new rings, and new heads, etc.

The truck runs and drives excellent, I took it for a spin and there are no noises, brakes are tight, it doesn't wander, etc. basically no visible problems. I can get the truck for $2400, does this sound fair given the condition and work that has been done? I looked at other trucks for sale in my area and most of that year range and model have higher kilometres, few if any newer parts, have not been maintained, and are listed for between $2000-$3000.

Thanks again for any help/comments!

Old 10-07-2010, 03:18 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Umm, you can't re-sleeve that motor.

Quick Reply: 97 Dodge Ram 1500 - Questions?