2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i think the clicking sound is broken valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 10:01 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default i think the clicking sound is broken valve

ok , that clicking sound i was complaining about , i was ready another forum and the guy kinda explained it of how my truck is. and he found the problem

[/QUOTE]Well my friends, the time has come for a new cam/lifters/timing chain. I have a manual 97 ram 1500 5.2L and had a ticking sound coming from the valvetrain for a while now and recently it stopped and something gave up in there. I pulled the valve covers today and discovered my #8 exhaust valve is not opening all the way and when the engine runs, between shifts especially, there's an airy sound almost like an exhaust leak. Anyway, the truck has almost 200k miles and its definately time for a new cam and timing chain. I am just looking for an oem timing chain replacement, nothing fancy. However, I am interested in running a slightly more aggressive cam. I am in CA so I need to pass CA smog, I definately don't need a top fuel dragster cam, just a little more aggresive than factory. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

im not looking for a new cam but i think thats my problem, if it is the problem will it throw a code if it will go bad all the way ?

what am i looking at new heads ? and could this cause more problems

here the link i found it on http://www.pavementsucks.com/board/t...agnum-Cam-time

Old 10-09-2010, 10:12 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

that post if full of baloney. if his valve is not opening or closing all the way, he has a collapsed lifter or damaged push rod or broken valve spring. i doubt that he has a broken valve or else it would probably fall into the cylinder ... the next sound you'd hear would be one that you'd remember for a long time...

removing the valve cover and inspecting it is a good start.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 10-09-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:21 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Take the VC off that side and make sure the 1.7's are torqued properly and have not come loose.

Quick Reply: i think the clicking sound is broken valve