2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

96 ram 360 start issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010 | 08:26 PM
dodgetruck2
|
Record Breaker
Default 96 ram 360 start issues

couples weeks ago i went to start my truck and when i turned the key all i got was a tick, tried again tick, finally it went and i have just kind of done that, but getting into these colder months now i want to be able to use my remote starter and it would be nice to have it start on the first click,

it is not a dead battery i have tested it and when it does finally turn over it turns really fast, i have removed and cleaned the terminals and connections, today i didnt think i was goin to get it i climbed underneather and tapped the start and the selinoid a couple times and tried it and it worked

i am pretty sure it is the selinoid but i want a second opinion before i go tearing into my only form of motive transportation(unless its warm out or snowing)

if it is the selinoid whats the best way of removing it, take the whole started assembly or just the selinoid

Old 10-09-2010 | 08:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Swap the starter relay with one of the others in the PDC, and see if that makes any difference. if it doesnt, replace the starter.

Old 10-11-2010 | 02:02 AM
PatriotBSU

I just bought a 95 Ram 1500 with the same problem. And same with mine, it happened mostly when it was cold.

First and foremost, check your battery connections. If that doesn't solve it, you probably need a new starter.
I dropped $75 after returning the core at AutoZone. Took me 45 minutes to put it in. Now, my baby starts up every time, no hesitation, no problems.

Old 10-19-2010 | 09:15 PM
dodgetruck2
|
Record Breaker

i did check that right away and it didnt change anything, but latly, maybe 2 weeks since i did that it has been starting great 99% of the time

Quick Reply: 96 ram 360 start issues