2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bleeding low pressure fuel supply line

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005 | 10:02 PM
kendev
Default Bleeding low pressure fuel supply line

After changing the fuel filter I need to bleed the low pressure fuel supplyline - I followed the manual (loosen banjo bolt turn key to crank position and release to on) did this MANY times but still getting no fuel in this line - any suggestions?

Old 06-03-2005 | 02:48 AM
kossuth
Professional
Default RE: Bleeding low pressure fuel supply line

Being you are talking about a banjo bolt I'm assuming you have a 98.5-2002 24V diesel. I've worked on my dad's 99 some so I'll take a shot at this. You need to give us alittle more information though because I'm just guessing at this point but if you have the years listed diesel above here is my take on it. Turn the key on and lightly bump the starter don't start it just bump it (this puts the truck PCM into fuel prime mode) and it should activate the lift pump to prime the system for about 25 seconds or so. I usually just pull one of the test ports out of the filter housing to do this. The system is sealed so the only place where you should get air in the system is the filter canister, but the way you listed should work too. If this still doesn't work then your lift pump might be hosed. If that is the case I would immediately replace it. You can run a 24V motor without a lift pump, but here is the catcher. The injection pump on the 24V motors is designed to be cooled and lubricated by diesel fuel (stupid idea). About 75% of the fuel that is supplied to the lift pump is for that purpose not to actually run the motor. If the lift pump dies the injection pump will continue to pull fuel from the tank on it's own(this injection pump is also used on smaller diesel engines with no helper pump of any nature so by design it will do this which is another stupid idea) but can not pull suffient fuel on it's own to cool and lubricate the injection pump. You can run around for thousands of miles like this and have no clue of what's going on. I usually runs the same when this happens. But if/when the injection pump craps out your wallet will feel the pinch. I've never had to buy an injection pump but from my understanding (might be wrong though) it is about $2500 so you want to ensure the lift pump is functional. If this doesn't help and you have the truck I think you have, you can check with these guys www.dieselram.com they seem to have their act together. Hope you figure the problem out.

Quick Reply: Bleeding low pressure fuel supply line