2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

XRF ball joints...whats your opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 02:27 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

XRF's are the best stock style ball joints you can buy (stock style meaning NOT Carlis or Dynatracs). Moog's downfall is in the design. They use a low quality ball with no insert or bushing. The lack of insert wouldn't be bad if they designed the ball to fit properly in the cup. Instead, the weight of the truck is spread over only a small percentage of the ***** surface area, creating a pinching effect.

Not to mention, Moog's quality control is terrible these days. So many of their parts are reboxed bastard brands that you don't even know what you're getting. Their blue bushings are good, as well as their other suspension bushings as long as they say "Clevite" on the rubber. But as far as ball joints, track bars, and ball joints go, you're best off getting a house brand such as Master Pro if you're looking for a lifetime warranty (that is if you don't go XRF for ball joints).

I haven't seen nor heard anything bad about XRF. The sets I've installed have been high quality and much "beefier" than the stock parts. Best of all, they're MUCH cheaper than Moogs.

If you refuse to go with XRF for some reason, go with factory Dana/Spicer ball joints.

http://carlisuspension.blogspot.com/...og-lowers.html

Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
I'm looking to buy them from this site. http://www.thetireclub.com/ShopByVeh...l+Arms&mode=PA
I really can't see myself paying $70 per ball joint when I can get something of equal or greater strength for half the price. I've also been reading some negative threads about Moog and their boots tearing.

I was just reading that they come with a million mile warranty:

Million Mile Warranty:
XRF brand chassis parts are warranted for life of vehicle or a million miles to original purchaser, whichever comes first. XRF honors the warranty claim and it is handled directly through our company. Any parts that are returned under warranty will need to be accompanied by the purchase receipt and submitted by the original purchaser. Any part found to be new defective or shipped wrong from us will be reimbursed or exchanged at customer request, shipping included.
$70 per ball joint is still cheap if they'll last more than 100K miles. Can't really put a price on safety, plus worn ball joints contribute to increased wear and tear on the tires.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
$70 per ball joint is still cheap if they'll last more than 100K miles. Can't really put a price on safety, plus worn ball joints contribute to increased wear and tear on the tires.
I guess what I was getting at was that I don't wanna pay $70 for something that (after read lots of reviews) will go out on me in about 10k miles. What your really paying for is the name, NOT the quality.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:59 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to thread jack, but... has anyone ever used raybestos ball joints? they have them on rock auto and im curious as to how good they may be.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:12 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J415
I guess what I was getting at was that I don't wanna pay $70 for something that (after read lots of reviews) will go out on me in about 10k miles. What your really paying for is the name, NOT the quality.

I mis-read your post. I thought the $70 ball joints you were referencing were the XRF, which they clearly aren't. And, I agree, I don't want to pay $70 (each) for something that will go out in 10K miles.

I've been to several other forums on the web reading reviews of the XRF and I am sold on them.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I mis-read your post. I thought the $70 ball joints you were referencing were the XRF, which they clearly aren't. And, I agree, I don't want to pay $70 (each) for something that will go out in 10K miles.

I've been to several other forums on the web reading reviews of the XRF and I am sold on them.
I haven't been able to locate any credible information regarding problems with XRF (or any information at all regarding problems for that matter). I'm sure time will tell as every product has it's faults, but so far XRF is a best bet for ball joints.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:52 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where can I get these XRF joints? Next time I have to change a set, I'm going to try these out I think.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:41 PM
J415
Champion

Originally Posted by hometheaterman
Where can I get these XRF joints? Next time I have to change a set, I'm going to try these out I think.
http://www.thetireclub.com/ShopByVeh...l+Arms&mode=PA

Just curious, are you still running stock BJ's or after market?

Old 10-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Call XRF directly and they should be a little cheaper.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:19 PM
J415
Champion

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Call XRF directly and they should be a little cheaper.
Cheaper then $44 per BJ plus free shipping?

Quick Reply: XRF ball joints...whats your opinion.