2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

XRF ball joints...whats your opinion.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:23 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got around to installing my upper and lower ball joints and they definitely feel good. It use to be that when I go over a speed bump, the front would bounce up and down alot. it would have a lot of "rebound". Now that problem is gone. Also, when I would drive over a pot hole or a patch of crappy pavement, the truck would get kind of squirrelly...not any more. I really dig these XRF ball joints. Lets see what time will tell. BTW, I recommend these, there good stuff.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yeah, I have several vintages of craftsman tools, and the older ones are obviously of better quality. Especially the sockets. I suspect that the change is due to manufacturing moving to china, or indonesia, and use of lower quality materials.

I would buy Snap-On, or Mac tools, but, for what I do, I just can't justify the additional cost..... that, and Sears is less than two miles away..... If I break one, just cruise up and grab another.
Craftsman was outsourcing their ratchets and such to Japan as far back as the late-1980's. Just go up and down the tool and accessories aisles and see where a lot of that stuff is made. It took Harbor Freight almost two full years to make Sears honest on the price of the aluminum floor jack (damned things used to list for $399 at Sears). Either way, I will pay good money for quality tools, and Sears' past reputation doesn't cut it. The last set of sockets and such I bought back around 1990 had a horrible design for the 3/8" ratchet. Those damn things slip all the time and I haven't had the cash to replace them; however, I'm getting to the point where I'll be tossing them in favor of something else. The same goes for screwdrivers. I've had some people point me toward some German brands where the tips won't crumble or break. I'll gladly pay good money for tools that will last, as they should.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigRedOne
Certain SCORE/SNORE/MINT race classes require the use of MOOG ball joints as part of the rules, due to their durability. MOOG FTW.
And those are the fun races to watch because every truck's wheels' are flying off of them at 100 MPH. Make sure you bring your safety glasses if you're going to a race!

Old 11-01-2010, 05:09 PM
TheBigRedOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
And those are the fun races to watch because every truck's wheels' are flying off of them at 100 MPH. Make sure you bring your safety glasses if you're going to a race!
What are you talking about?

Old 11-01-2010, 05:21 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

What are you talking about?
Well, the general consensus on Moog ball joints is that they are cheap crap. You made the statement that certian SCORE, SNORE, and MINT classes require the use of Moog brand ball joints. Based on my observations of durability of Moog joints and the responses posted here, I made the joke that the trucks racing in those classes with Moog ball joints would have the ball joints breaking off at high speeds sending the wheels flying into the crowd.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, the general consensus on Moog ball joints is that they are cheap crap. You made the statement that certian SCORE, SNORE, and MINT classes require the use of Moog brand ball joints. Based on my observations of durability of Moog joints and the responses posted here, I made the joke that the trucks racing in those classes with Moog ball joints would have the ball joints breaking off at high speeds sending the wheels flying into the crowd.

I thought it was funny.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:19 PM
TheBigRedOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The general consensus in the box here, is MOOG or nothing. I'm not going to argue about it, I know what I know.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:21 PM
PurplDodge
Legend

The general consensus in the box here, is MOOG or nothing. I'm not going to argue about it, I know what I know.
Great. 'Round here they are ****.

Last edited by PurplDodge; 11-01-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:03 AM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gonna have to side with purpl on this one, unless moog provides better ball joints for these race trucks, or they only put a couple thousand miles on them, then i could see there being problems

Old 11-02-2010, 08:14 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey fellas, so I talked to kirt from thetireclub.com about sending me a dust boot since I managed to cut mine during the instalation process as well as cutting us DF members a break. This is the email that I sent him:

Hi, this e mail is for Kirk from the tire club. I ordered 2 upper & 2 lower ball joints for my dodge ram about 3 weeks ago and I can't be happier. I'm so satisfied that I went on dodgeforum.com and spread the word. Here's the link: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...r-opinion.html my screen name is j415. Just a thought, but I've seen other vendors open an account in our forum and give us good deals because we all support them.
I had a side question for you though, I noticed that my dust boot on one of my upper BJ's is pinched, more likely then not, I did it. My question is, can I buy just a new boot from you? Thanks again.
Respectfully,
Jaime

And this is his reply:

Hello Jaime, Thanks for the good word!
I will have a boot in the mail to you today, no charge. It is good to hear that XRF is getting some press in the forums. I will look into getting an advertisement on the site, but if you need anything or your forum buddies, type: 10.00_OFF! in the coupon box at checkout and it will take an additional 10.00 off the total, good till the end of the year. Shipping is free also.
Thanks again, Kirt
The Tire Club

So there you go guys. $10 off maybe more if you give him a call and place your order threw him and mention the DF. Worth a shot.

Quick Reply: XRF ball joints...whats your opinion.